This creamy, tangy and spicy burger sauce is delicious on a beef burger. It’s got great flavor from oregano, garlic, chili powder and hot sauce and enhances the flavor of beef without overwhelming it.
Love spicy sauces? You might also like this spicy smoked paprika sauce. It’s easy to make and great with chicken!
What is burger sauce made of?
Traditionally, burger sauce is made with mayonnaise and ketchup plus spices and/or herbs. What’s different about the recipe here is that I used canned tomato sauce instead of ketchup. Tomato sauce has a nice, pure, tangy tomato flavor without any of the sugariness that ketchup has.
A few ingredient notes:
- You can use either fresh or dried oregano, both taste great in this sauce.
- Use mild or medium chili powder, depending on how spicy you want the sauce to be.
How to make it:
- Add all ingredients to a bowl.
- Whisk together until smooth.
Recipe notes, tips and questions:
The spiciness in this sauce comes both from hot sauce and chili powder. Use mild chili powder for a moderately spicy sauce and medium chili powder for a pretty spicy sauce.
You can keep leftover sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Yes! You can use it as a dipping sauce for grilled shrimp, fried breaded fish and chicken nuggets. The sauce also works great as a dressing for a meat salad. In fact I used it for this meatball salad with roasted cauliflower.
More delicious sauces:
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Spicy Burger Sauce
- 2 tablespoons canned tomato sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- ½ teaspoon chili powder*
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano** (you need about one 6-inch sprig or an equivalent amount for that)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to use.