Last Updated on
It’s curry time again! I love curries and eat them A LOT. This here is a yellow variety with chicken, coconut milk, red bell pepper and lots of intense flavor. It’s very easy to make and, even better, requires mainly pantry ingredients. Enjoy!
Thai Curry with Chicken
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1/4 of a 2-cup chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon whole yellow mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 2 medium-sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1.5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can coconut milk, 13.5 ounces
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can pineapple chunks (8 ounces) without the juice
- lime juice
- chopped peanuts
- chopped green onion
- chopped cilantro
- Peel the onion and chop into ~ 1-inch chunks.
- Put onion into a pot along with 1 cup of water and boil without a lid until almost all water has evaporated.
- Puree the onion in a food processor along with the quarter chicken bouillon cube. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven until shimmering.
- Add mustard, cumin and coriander seeds to the oil and fry on low heat for 2 – 3 minutes (the seeds need to sizzle but be careful not to burn them).
- Carefully add the onion puree (be careful, this will probably splatter!).
- Turn the heat up to medium-low or medium and fry the onion for 15 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, turmeric and curry and stir until you have a homogeneous mix.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, coconut milk and soy sauce and mix well.
- Add bell pepper and pineapple, bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with lime juice to taste and add peanuts, green onion and cilantro as garnish.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!