This spicy chipotle cream sauce is easy to make and delicious on grilled chicken breast. It’s creamy, spicy, tangy, full of flavor and turns chicken, rice and beans into a delicious and well-balanced meal.
Check out more delicious recipes with chipotle peppers.
Why make this recipe:
- This sauce is deliciously creamy and full of smoky, spicy and tangy flavors that take a simple chicken breast to a whole new level.
- You need only pantry ingredients.
- This sauce is quickly made in a total of 9 minutes.
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce:
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are dried and smoked jalapenos that are mixed into a spicy and tangy dark red sauce. You can buy these in two different forms:
- whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in a can or
- diced chipotle peppers with sauce in a glass jar
You can use either product for this recipe. (I personally prefer the diced chipotle peppers in a jar because the chipotles have already been chopped and are therefore easier to handle.)
If you used whole canned chipotles, finely chop 1 pepper and add it along with 2 teaspoons of sauce. If you use the jar of diced chipotles, use 3 ½ teaspoons of that.
How to make it:
- This sauce is super simple to make. Saute diced onions in olive oil, then stir in cumin, chipotle peppers, tomato paste and adobo sauce.
- Stir in rice vinegar, cream, oregano and salt.
Choose your spice level:
The spiciness in this sauce comes from the chopped chipotle pepper and the adobo sauce. To make this sauce spicier, just add more adobo sauce to taste.
How to serve it:
I recommend serving this sauce with grilled chicken, rice and green beans.
How to store it:
If you have any leftover sauce, transfer it into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Gently reheat on the stovetop while stirring continuously.
More delicious cream sauces for chicken:
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Spicy Chipotle Cream Sauce
- 2 teaspoons mild olive oil
- ½ cup diced white or yellow onion (about ¼ large onion)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 chipotle pepper out of can,* finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can of chipotle peppers* (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat the olive oil in a pan until shimmering.
- Add the diced onion and saute until starting to soften (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in the cumin and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Stir in chipotle pepper, chipotle sauce and tomato paste and cook for a minute.
- Stir in the rice vinegar, then the cream, the oregano and the salt.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring continuously, until starting to thicken. Add more chipotle sauce to taste.