This curry tartar sauce makes a delicious condiment for battered fried fish. It's got all the traditional tartar sauce flavors but in addition to that it's spiced with curry powder and garam masala. The curry powder gives the sauce a delicious curry flavor that is complemented by the warmth of the garam masala. Together the two spice blends work beautifully with the pickles (in a similar way to these refrigerator cinnamon pickles).
For a homemade tartar sauce that's made without mayo also check out this sour cream tartar sauce.
Recipe ingredients and notes:
- Garam masala is a spice blend that's made with warm spices, including nutmeg and clove and it works beautifully with tartar sauce.
- Yellow curry powder is sometimes also called simply curry powder.
- Rather than vinegar or lemon juice, this recipe uses pickle juice from the jar of dill pickles to add flavor to the sauce. The pickle juice adds just the right amount of tartness and saltiness and is much less harsh than vinegar or lemon juice.
How to make it:
Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk together until smooth.
How to serve it:
Serve this tartar sauce cold as a condiment for battered fried fish, crab cakes or fish sticks.
How to store it:
Store the sauce in an airtight container in the fridge.
Is this tartar sauce spicy?
The level of spiciness of this sauce depends on the spiciness of the curry powder. If you use mild curry powder, this sauce will not be spicy. If you use spicy curry powder, this sauce will be slightly spicy.
More spiced dipping sauce recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thank you!
Full Printable Recipe
Curry Tartar Sauce
- measuring cups and spoons
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickles (you need about 2 small dill pickles for that)
- ½ teaspoon yellow curry powder*
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon pickle juice from the jar of dill pickles
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk until smooth.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.