This creamy and spicy dipping sauce for tilapia is flavored with fresh basil and diced jalapeno pepper. It has a delicious summery freshness, great flavor and comes together in minutes. Serve it with breaded and fried tilapia bites for a quick and easy summer meal.
Why make this recipe?
A nicely punchy dipping sauce is one of the best ways to turn a tilapia fillet into a delicious meal, in my opinion. This fresh, spicy and lemony sauce works perfectly with breaded and fried fish bites and takes almost no work or time to make.
How to make it:
Finely dice jalapeno pepper, then add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk together.
Frequently asked questions:
I recommend serving this sauce with breaded and fried tilapia bites. Here’s how to make 2 servings of tilapia bites:
• Cut 2 raw tilapia fillets into bite-sized chunks.
• Beat 1 egg in a shallow dish and pour 1 ½ cups panko bread crumbs into a second shallow dish.
• Dip the tilapia bites in the egg and then in the bread crumbs.
• Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a pan, then fry the fish bites on both sides until golden-brown on the outside and flaky on the inside.
• Dip each tilapia bite in the sauce.
Store the sauce in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it.
The level of spiciness of this sauce is determined by the jalapeno pepper. The less ribs and seeds you remove, the spicier the sauce will be.
More delicious dipping sauces:
See all condiments & sauces →
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Join our mailing list to get all the latest recipes sent to your inbox!
Full Printable Recipe
Dipping Sauce for Tilapia
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board
- garlic press (optional)
- citrus juicer
- mixing bowl
- ½ jalapeno pepper, most of the ribs and seeds removed*
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil (you need about 20 medium/large leaves or an equivalent amount for that)
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, peeled and minced or pressed through a garlic press
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Finely dice the jalapeno pepper half (this should yield about 2 tablespoons).
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk together.
- Season to taste with a pinch of salt.
- Serve with breaded and fried tilapia bites.