Cardamom Donuts with Cinnamon Sugar

Last Updated on

Cardamom Donuts Cinnamon Sugar Recipe

Hi everyone! I hope you all had an enjoyable holiday season. I also hope you aren’t tired of sweets because I’ve got some incredible baked donuts here. They are light and fluffy, flavored with cardamom, brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Sounds good? It is! And very easy to make, just standard ingredients whisked together by hand and put in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Enjoy!

———————————————————

Food Photography and Styling: Since the cinnamon sugar is an important part of the recipe I wanted to draw attention to it by showing the sprinkling in action. (That also fit with the blue winter theme because it looked a bit like falling snow). Of course, donuts are the ultimate stacking food so I couldn’t resist making a nice tall tower out of them. I chose my (one and only) triangular plate because I liked the contrast it provided to the round shape of the donuts.

As always, I used my strobe to light the set.

Camera Settings: Nikon D600, 105mm, f/4, 1/125 sec., ISO 50. One Hensel Integra Pro Plus 500 Monolight, 35″ x 58″ Softbox.

———————————————————

For the coating:

• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

DIRECTIONS:

For the donuts:

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spray two 6-cavity donut pans with nonstick spray and set aside. (This recipe will make 8 to 9 donuts).
  3. Whisk flour, cardamom, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
  4. Whisk egg and sugar together in a bowl until well combined and a bit creamy.
  5. Whisk milk and melted butter into the egg mix.
  6. Whisk the dry ingredients into the egg mix.
  7. Using a spoon, divide the batter into the donut pans, filling each cavity 1/2 to 3/4 full and bake for 12 – 15 minutes.

For the coating:

1. Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a shallow bowl.
  2. Brush the donuts with the melted butter, then either sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mix on or dip the donuts in it.

I actually never tire of sweets either and I’m glad I’m not the only one. These donuts are super light indeed, I loved that about them. As always, thanks so much for coming by, Roxana! :)

Haha, just clicked over to see your delicious donut concoction! It’s so fun to make donuts, isn’t it? Hope you had a great Christmas as well and a Happy New Year to you, Rosemary! :)

The minute I saw the photo I thought “a dusting of snow”. I guess I was on the right track. The recipe sounds delicious!! I like the idea of not frying the doughnuts and they look as light as a feather. I am so glad you tell us how you took the shot and what you’re thinking. You know, you have the heart of a teacher — and aren’t I happy. Thank you so much for sharing!! Have a Happy New Year!

I’m so glad you enjoy my babbling, Marisa! :) (It’s funny, I actually was a teacher for a few years, I always enjoyed the part of explaining stuff to students but the rest (admin and especially grading) was the worst…).

2. Rachel Ballard says:

I’m with everyone else–I’m never tired of donuts. I haven’t gotten a donut pan yet (I usually make yeast) but it’s been on my list for a while! And as usual, great pictures, perfect lighting and sugar sifting perfection there Nicole. ;) Happy New Year to you!

Thank you so much, Rachel! Donut pans are great, it’s so much fun to turn them over and watch the donuts toppling out (I should try to photograph that actually). Happy New Year to you too!:)

3. Bam's Kitchen says:

A stack of delicious snow covered donuts are beautiful These donuts would not have lasted through a photo shoot at my house…with my food stalking teenage boys… Wishing you a very safe and happy New Year.

Ah, they didn’t last long here either, even without teenage boys. :) A wonderfully happy New Year to you as well, Bobbi!

4. Jason says:

Wow. Melted butter with cinnamon sugar. That takes me back to my mom’s cinnamon toast recipe. These look absolutely amazing. Thanks for the recipe!