Last Updated on
This beautiful lemon cardamom cake is delicate, light, moist, intensely citrusy and not overly sweet. The ground cardamom adds subtle floral and minty notes and a sprinkle of chopped pistachios adds just the right amount of crunch to this refreshing summer afternoon treat. Scroll down for step-by-step photos on how to make this cake.
I adapted the recipe for this cake from Ina Garten but cut the sugar and lemon zest a bit and added cardamom to the batter because I love the floral and slightly minty notes it adds.
How to make lemon cardamom cake step by step:
The preparation of this recipe is very straight forward, you begin by preparing a loaf pan: line the bottom of the pan with a piece of parchment paper, then grease the pan well, sprinkle flour into it and shake out the excess.
To make the batter you start beating softened butter and sugar until creamy, then beat in eggs and a generous amount of lemon zest for some intense lemon flavor.
The ground cardamom simply goes into your dry ingredients along with the usual suspects: flour, baking powder, baking soda and a smidgen of salt.
For the wet ingredients you mix together yogurt, lemon juice, milk and a little bit of vanilla extract.
With the mixer running, you gradually beat the dry and wet ingredients into the butter mix, alternating between the two, until you have a smooth batter.
The cake needs to bake for 45 to 50 minutes and will make your kitchen smell delicious!
I glazed the loaf with a simple lemon glaze and then sprinkled chopped pistachios on, both for their visual appeal but also to add some crunch and a great texture contrast to the delicate, light and airy cake.
More delicious desserts with cardamom:
- Cardamom Donuts with Cinnamon Sugar
- Cardamom Meringue Cookies
- Raspberry Apple Crisp
- Lemon Cardamom Bundt Cakes
Lemon Cardamom Cake
For the cake:
- vegetable shortening to grease the loaf pan
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon zest from organic lemons (you need 4 – 5 lemons for that)
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons plain, whole milk yogurt
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice, or more, depending on the humidity in your kitchen
- chopped pistachios
For the cake:
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper and fit into the bottom of an 8.5 inch x 4.25 inch x 2.5 inch loaf pan. Secure it to the bottom of the pan with a few dabs of vegetable shortening.
- Grease the pan well with vegetable shortening (including the surface of the parchment bottom), sprinkle flour into the pan and then shake out the excess.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add the eggs and continue to beat until well incorporated and smooth.
- Beat in the lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and soda, salt and cardamom. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk lemon juice, yogurt, milk and vanilla together. Set aside.
- Beat the dry and wet ingredients into the butter mix, little by little, alternating between the two and starting with the dry ingredients. Beat until you have a very smooth and creamy-looking batter.
- Fill the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45 -50 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the pan is cool enough to handle, run a knife around the edges to to loosen the cake from the sides of the pan. Unmold the cake and then let it cool completely.
For the glaze:
- Whisk the two ingredients together and keep adding lemon juice until you have a slow-moving icing.
- Drizzle the icing on the cake and sprinkle the chopped pistachios on.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: