Last Updated on
These baked cinnamon sugar donuts are light, fluffy and full of cardamom flavor. They are brushed with melted butter and then dipped in cinnamon sugar for a nicely crunchy shell. Perfect as a fall afternoon treat with a cup of hot chocolate.
This post was originally published on Dec. 27, 2015.
How to make cardamom cinnamon sugar donuts:
This recipe makes 9 donuts, which means you need two 6-cavity donut pans. (If you only have one donut pan, see the recipe tip below).
Start by greasing the pans with nonstick spray or with vegetable shortening. Set the pans aside, heat the oven to 350 degrees F., then whisk together your dry ingredients (1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/8 teaspoon salt).
In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 egg and 1/3 cup granulated sugar, then add 1/2 cup whole milk and 3 tablespoons of melted, unsalted butter. (It’s fine if the melted butter solidifies when you whisk it in, that won’t cause any problems).
Whisk the dry ingredients into the egg/sugar/milk/butter mix.
Fill the batter into the donut pans and bake the donuts for 12 to 15 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Once the donuts have cooled, unmold them and brush with 2 tablespoons melted, unsalted butter, then dip them in a mix of 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
Serve the donuts fresh.
If you only have one donut pan and don’t want to get a second one, you can cut this recipe in half but you’ll see there is one egg in there. Now, here is what I do when I need to use half an egg: I crack one egg into a small bowl and whisk it lightly with a fork. Then I’ll use one half of that whisked egg for my batter (I usually eyeball it but you can measure it with a spoon measure) and the other half I just quickly fry in a little bit of butter and eat as a snack. I have done this countless times and it works flawlessly!
More delicious desserts with cardamom:
Cardamom Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
For the donuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the donuts:
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray two 6-cavity donut pans with nonstick spray or grease with vegetable shortening and set aside.
- Whisk flour, cardamom, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk egg and sugar together in a bowl until well combined.
- Whisk milk and melted butter into the egg mix.*
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the egg mix.
- Using a spoon, divide the batter into the donut pans, filling each cavity 1/2 to 3/4 full and bake for 12 – 15 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the donuts cool completely, then unmold them.
For the topping:
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a shallow bowl.
- Brush the donuts with the melted butter, then dip the donuts in sugar/cinnamon mix.
- Serve fresh.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: