Last Updated on
This warm, comforting stovetop apple crisp takes a total of only 20 minutes to prepare and does not compromise on flavor. You cook the apples in a skillet and sprinkle them with a toasted, buttery and crunchy oat, nut and sesame seed topping.
Say hello to a quick and easy, no-bake stovetop apple crisp!
Apple crisps are one of the most delicious ways to eat apples in my opinion but I‘m not always willing to put in the time to bake a crisp. That’s why I love this stovetop recipe, it takes only about 20 minutes, tastes great and you won’t even need to fire up the oven. And because you’re not locked into the volume of a baking dish you can easily scale this recipe up or down to however many servings you like (one of the great advantages of stovetop desserts).
How to make stovetop apple crisp:
You start by cooking your apples in a skillet in a mix of butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. (That will put you in a good mood because it will make your kitchen smell delicious.)
Once the apples are done, you prepare the topping simply by toasting a mix of rolled oats, chopped pecans (or walnuts, if you prefer), sesame seeds and brown sugar in a bit of melted butter in a non-stick pan. That’s easy and quick to do and the resulting flavors and crunch are wonderful.
To serve, you add the cooked cinnamon apples into individual serving bowls and sprinkle with the oat/nut/sesame mix. If you like, you can put a dollop of whipped cream (or ice cream) on top but I find that the crisp already tastes mighty delicious by itself.
One quick word of caution about the topping: it’s very easy to burn it, so don’t take your eyes off the pan (no texting while cooking for this one!).
More delicious fall dessert recipes:
- Bruleed Chai-Spiced Pots de Creme
- Hazelnut Pumpkin Spice Trifles
- Maple Hazelnut Custard
- Maple Mascarpone Cream
- Maple Pecan Bread Pudding
- Pumpkin Spice Ganache
- Pumpkin Spice Hazelnut Cookies
- S’mores Mousse Tart with Crystallized Ginger Meringue
- Pumpkin Spice Hazelnut Churros
- Spiced Eggnog
- Spiced Irish Coffee
Stovetop Apple Crisp
For the apples:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (Gala work well)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
For the topping:
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1.5 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream (optional)
For the apples:
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet.
- Add the apples, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Stir until well combined.
- Put the lid on and let the apples cook on medium to medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are soft (about 7 minutes).
For the topping:
- In a bowl, combine remaining sugar, oats, nuts and sesame seeds. Mix well.
- In a small, non-stick pan melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter, then add the nut mix and brown for a few minutes until crunchy. (Do this on relatively low heat and watch closely, it will burn easily).
- Serve apples in a bowl and sprinkle the topping on.
- Top with ice cream or whipped cream (optional).
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: