Shrimp Coconut Soup
This easy Thai shrimp coconut soup comes together in only 20 minutes and does not compromise on flavor. Chili powder and fresh jalapeños provide a bit of spiciness, coconut milk rounds out the flavors and lime juice adds freshness.
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium-sized shallot minced
- 2 medium-sized jalapeño peppers, minced, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 large garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 12 raw shrimp, peeled
- a few drops of lime juice
- 3 ounces cooked Asian-style noodles, such as hokkien
For garnish (optional):
- sliced chili pepper
- sprouts of your choice, I used mung bean sprouts here
- sliced scallions
Heat the oil in a pot until shimmering.
Add shallot and jalapeño and saute until soft (about 5 minutes).
Add garlic, chili powder, broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
Add the shrimp, turn down the heat and simmer until the shrimp are cooked through.
Add the noodles and heat through.
Fill into bowls and sprinkle with a few drops of lime juice.
Top with garnish and serve.