Last Updated on
These delicious, easy-to-make vanilla bean cookies are flavored with vanilla bean seeds inside and out. The icing is made with vanilla bean seeds, powdered sugar and heavy cream for extra richness. A wonderful winter and Holiday season treat!
I have often wondered who came up with the idea to associate vanilla with plain. That’s a really puzzling concept because there is nothing plain about vanilla seeds; their unique flavor and aroma is about as complex as it gets and is the result of a combination of several hundred different chemical compounds. And it is, of course, delicious. I mean, who doesn’t like vanilla?
Now, when I use vanilla I generally reach for the bottle of extract but to add some sophistication (in the form of visible black flecks of vanilla seeds) to these Christmas cookies here I scraped the seeds of out of an actual vanilla pod and added them to both the dough and the glaze. Both components are simple but very flavorful and overall make a very delicate and buttery, crispy vanilla bean cookie.
I made the glaze from powdered sugar, vanilla seeds and heavy cream. Cream is great for a glaze because it results in a thick, velvety texture that more or less automatically forms a bit of a pattern when you spread it on with the back of a small spoon. That’s my way of decorating a cookie artfully because I’m not really much use with a piping bag!
Recipe tip – how to roll out cookie dough without flour:
You want to roll out the cookie dough without adding additional flour and to do that I recommend rolling it between two sheets of plastic wrap. I always do it that way and it works great!
More delicious cookie recipes:
- Spiced Linzer Cookies with Dulce de Leche
- Linzer Cookies with Ginger Cardamom Raspberry Jam
- Cardamom Meringue Cookies
- The Best Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- Pumpkin Spice Hazelnut Cookies
Vanilla Bean Cookies
For the cookies:
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1.5 inches vanilla bean
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
For the icing:
- 1 inch vanilla bean
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1-4 tablespoons heavy cream
For the cookies:
- Whisk flour and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla bean piece.
- Beat butter and sugar until well combined and creamy.
- Beat in the vanilla seeds.
- Beat in the dry ingredients.
- Bring the dough together into a ball by hand, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap and cut out the cookies. (After the first round of cutting out the cookies, you can gather the scraps and roll them out again).
- Bake the cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper until they are lightly browned (12 – 15 minutes).
- Let the cookies cool.
For the icing:
- Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla bean.
- Whisk powdered sugar, vanilla seeds and heavy cream together. Start with 1 tablespoon of cream, then add more until you have a spreadable but not runny consistency.
- Spoon the icing onto the cookies and let it dry.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: