Last Updated on
The only from-scratch stir fry sauce recipe you need! A simple mix of sake, soy sauce and corn starch flavored with fresh ginger, garlic, sesame and red pepper flakes. Works great with chicken, beef, shrimp, tofu, vegetables, you name it.
This post was originally published on April 7, 2014.
I love this all-purpose stir fry sauce because it is delicious and because it works equally well with chicken, beef, shrimp, tofu and any vegetables I’ve ever tried it with.
How to make stir fry sauce from scratch:
The sauce is very easy and quick to prepare, you simply whisk together 1/4 cup sake, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 garlic cloves (minced or pressed), 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger, 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon corn starch and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes for a bit of heat.
Once you’ve fried your meat or seafood and vegetables, you pour the sauce in the hot pan and cook it for a minute until it thickens and turns translucent.
For the stir fry here I used chicken, scallions, carrots, chili pepper and cashews but shrimp, bok choy, bell peppers, broccoli, napa cabbage, onion, mushrooms and whatever else you find in your fridge will be good too!
More delicious Asian-inspired recipes:
- Spicy Edamame
- Asian Noodle Salad
- Sweet and Sour Ginger Roasted Mushrooms
- Thai Chicken Curry
- Cold Sesame Noodles
- Fried Coconut Rice with Shrimp
- Asian Meatballs
- Ginger-Glazed Bok Choy with Tofu and Noodles
- Ginger Lime Cilantro Chicken Wings
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Chicken Noodle Stir Fry
- Sesame Tofu
- Shrimp Coconut Curry
- Shrimp Coconut Soup
- Steak Stir Fry
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1/4 cup sake
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (use less or leave them out if you don't like it spicy)
- Add all ingredients together in a liquid measuring cup or something similar that you can easily pour out of and whisk until the corn starch is dissolved. Leave the whisk sitting in the measuring cup, you'll need it again. Set aside.
- Heat a little bit of vegetable oil on high heat. Once shimmering, add your meat or seafood. Fry until brown on the edges, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat a little more vegetable oil (again on high) to the pan and add your vegetables. Fry until tender.
- Add the cooked meat (and accumulated juices) back to the pan, briefly whisk the sauce ingredients again and then pour them into the pan.
- Cook on high heat until the sauce turns translucent and thickens. (This will only take a minute).
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: