Last Updated on
This sugar-free stir fry sauce is delicious and so easy to make! Just a simple mix of sake, soy sauce and corn starch flavored with fresh ginger, garlic, sesame and red pepper flakes. Works great with chicken, beef, shrimp, tofu, vegetables, you name it.
This post was originally published on April 7, 2014.
- Why make homemade stir fry sauce?
- Stir fry sauce ingredients and notes:
- How to make stir fry sauce:
- More Asian-inspired recipes:
Why make homemade stir fry sauce?
You might ask, why make the sauce yourself when you can just buy a bottle? The answer is simple, it takes only a few minutes to make your own quick stir fry sauce, it tastes delicious, and, when you make it yourself, you know exactly what’s in it.
Stir fry sauce ingredients and notes:
- sake – you can also use extra dry white vermouth instead of sake
- soy sauce
- minced or pressed garlic
- freshly grated ginger – if fresh ginger is not available, you can substitute ground dried ginger (use only 3/4 teaspoon dried ginger)
- sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- corn starch – the corn starch will thicken the sauce
- crushed red pepper flakes – these will make the sauce a little bit spicy; use less or leave them out entirely for a less spicy sauce.
How to make stir fry sauce:
This sauce is very easy to make. Start by whisking all ingredients together in a container that you can easily pour from, such as a liquid measuring cup.
Set the sauce aside, then fry your meat or seafood and vegetables in a pan, take them out, pour the sauce into the hot pan and cook it for a minute until it thickens and turns translucent.
More Asian-inspired recipes:
- Spicy Edamame
- Asian Noodle Salad
- Sweet and Sour Ginger Roasted Mushrooms
- Thai Chicken Curry
- Cold Sesame Noodles
- Fried Coconut Rice with Shrimp
- Asian Meatballs
- Ginger Lime Cilantro Chicken Wings
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Chicken Noodle Stir Fry
- Sesame Tofu
- Spicy Coconut Shrimp Soup
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1/4 cup sake
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger*
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (use less or leave them out if you don’t like it spicy)
- Add all ingredients together in a liquid measuring cup or something similar that you can easily pour out of and whisk until the corn starch is dissolved. Leave the whisk sitting in the measuring cup, you’ll need it again. Set aside.
- Heat a little bit of vegetable oil on high heat. Once shimmering, add your meat or seafood. Fry until brown on the edges, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat a little more vegetable oil (again on high) to the pan and add your vegetables. Fry until tender.
- Add the cooked meat (and accumulated juices) back to the pan, briefly whisk the sauce ingredients again and then pour them into the pan.
- Cook on high heat until the sauce turns translucent and thickens. (This will only take a minute).
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: