This quick and easy creamy sweet potato gnocchi soup is the perfect comfort food for a chilly fall or winter evening. The sweet potato gnocchi add just the right amount of sweetness to balance the intense and slightly spicy Mexican chorizo. For maximum convenience and time savings you can use store-bought sweet potato gnocchi for this soup.
Recipe ingredients and notes:
- You can buy sweet potato gnocchi in many general grocery stores. They are either in the frozen food aisle or close to where you find fresh pasta in the refrigerated section.
- Mexican chorizo bulk sausage meat is usually sold in one-pound packages. Since you only need half a pound for this recipe, I recommend to use the rest to make these chorizo tacos!
- If you have more fresh kale than this recipe calls for, you can use the rest to make this lemon garlic kale pasta.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Get a pot of water to a boil for the sweet potato gnocchi. Meanwhile cook the chorizo in a Dutch oven in a little bit of olive oil.
Step 2. Stir onion and kale into the chorizo.
Step 3. Stir in garlic, then flour.
Step 4. Add chicken broth and water and bring to a simmer, then set aside.
Step 5. Boil, then drain the sweet potato gnocchi.
Step 6. Stir the cooked gnocchi and heavy cream into the soup and serve.
How spicy is this soup?
This soup has a medium level of spiciness from the chorizo.
How to store the soup:
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
More delicious creamy soup recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thank you!
Full Printable Recipe
Sweet Potato Gnocchi Soup with Chorizo
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board
- garlic press (optional)
- rubber spatula or wooden spoon
- large pot with lid
- small Dutch oven
- ½ teaspoon mild olive oil
- 8 ounces Mexican chorizo bulk sausage meat (you can use pork or beef chorizo)
- ¼ cup minced onion (you need about ⅓ of a small onion for that)
- 2 cups torn kale leaves, (stems removed)
- 2 small garlic cloves, peeled and minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup water
- 8 ounces sweet potato gnocchi (about 32 gnocchi)*
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. (You will boil the sweet potato gnocchi in this.)
- While the water for the gnocchi is heating up, add the oil to a Dutch oven and heat until shimmering (about 30 seconds).
- Add the chorizo and cook until starting to brown on the edges (about 5 minutes). Use a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon to break up the meat as it's cooking.
- Stir in onion and kale and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and stir until absorbed, then pour in chicken broth and water. Bring to a simmer, stirring continuously, and cook until starting to thicken (about 3 minutes). Take off the heat and set aside.
- Add the sweet potato gnocchi to the pot of boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain, then add the cooked gnocchi to the soup.
- Stir heavy cream into the soup, bring to simmer, then take off the heat and serve.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.