This grilled sumac chicken with broccolini and brown butter almonds makes an easy and delicious lunch or light dinner. Serve it with orzo pasta or with rice.
- if orzo pasta is not available, you can serve this dish with rice instead
What is sumac?
Sumac is a beautifully dark red spice ground from dried sumac berries. It is widely used in Middle Eastern cuisine and has a lot of health benefits thanks to tons of antioxidants.
What does sumac taste like?
Sumac has a savory citrus flavor. (In fact, sumac was apparently the Romans’ acidic ingredient of choice before lemons arrived in Europe.)
Sumac’s tangy and savory flavor works great on chicken and I used it here to marinate chicken breast, which I later grilled and served with steamed broccolini, brown butter garlic and lemon almonds and orzo pasta.
How to make sumac chicken:
Step 1. In a small bowl, whisk together:
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Step 2. Add 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into bite-sized pieces) to the marinade, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. After that, grill the chicken on the grill or a grill pan.
Step 3. Cook 1/2 cup orzo pasta according to package instructions.
Step 4. Steam 6 broccolini.
Step 5. Melt 4 tablespoons unsalted butter in a skillet, then add 1/4 cup sliced almonds.
Step 6. Cook on low heat, stirring continuously, until the almonds are starting to brown. Turn the heat off, then stir in 1 large or 2 small minced garlic cloves and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice. Let cool a bit, then season to taste with salt.
Step 7. Distribute the pasta, broccolini and the chicken between two plates, then drizzle the brown butter almond sauce over everything.
More light chicken dishes:
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad
- Marinated Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
- Spicy Pulled Chicken (Oven Baked)
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Sumac Chicken with Broccolini and Brown Butter Almonds
- 1 tablespoon ground sumac
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast (two medium-sized breast halves) cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 broccolini
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 1 large or 2 small garlic clove(s), minced or pressed
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup orzo pasta, uncooked*
- Whisk sumac, salt, pepper and olive oil together in a bowl, then mix with the chicken, cover and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Grill the chicken.
- While the chicken is on the grill or grill pan, cook the orzo pasta according to package instructions.
- Steam the broccolini until tender.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the almonds and cook on low heat, stirring continuously, until they are starting to brown. Turn the heat off.
- Stir in the garlic and the lemon juice.
- Let the butter cool a bit (it's very hot, don't burn yourself), then season with salt.
- To serve, divide the orzo pasta between two plates, add the broccolini and the chicken, then drizzle the almond butter sauce over everything.