These easy stuffed portobello mushrooms with cream cheese and sausage are full of creamy and delicious umami flavors. The stuffing is made with crispy browned Italian sausage, onion, oregano and smoked hot paprika, all blended into a yummy cheese mix.
You can serve the mushrooms as an appetizer but they also make a very satisfying small main course. And, you can easily make and stuff the mushrooms ahead of time and bake when you're ready.
Stuffing ingredients & notes:
- Sour cream is required to loosen the cream cheese a bit. Pure cream cheese would be a little too dense and heavy.
- Please don't use any cream cheese products labeled as low-fat or reduced-fat. Those have a higher moisture content than full-fat cream cheese and that can keep them from melting properly.
Recipe notes & tips:
- You can make the filling and stuff the mushrooms up to 6 hours ahead. Keep them in an airtight container in the fridge until you're ready to bake them.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Heat the oven and prepare the portobello mushrooms.
Step 2. Tear the bulk sausage meat apart.
Step 3. Cook the sausage meat.
Step 4. Whip cream cheese and sour cream together.
Step 5. Stir in all remaining stuffing ingredients.
Step 6. Fill the stuffing into the mushroom caps and bake on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
More stuffed appetizer recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Cream Cheese and Sausage
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board
- cast iron pan
- mixing bowl
- standing mixer or handheld mixer
- cheese grater
- firm rubber spatula or spoon
- baking sheet
- aluminum foil
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 8 ounces bulk hot Italian sausage meat
- 1 teaspoon mild olive oil
- 4 ounces full-fat block cream cheese*, softened
- ¼ cup full-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup finely diced white or yellow onion (you need about ⅓ of a small onion for that)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- 1 ounce grated cheddar cheese (about ¼ cup)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the stems and gills from the mushrooms and discard. Set the mushroom caps aside.
- Break up the sausage meat by tearing it with your fingers. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a cast iron pan until shimmering.
- Add the sausage meat and cook until lightly browned. Let cool.
- Whip cream cheese and sour cream until combined.
- Stir in onion, oregano, paprika and cheddar.
- Stir in the sausage meat.
- Stuff the filling into the mushroom caps using either a firm rubber spatula or a spoon. Set the stuffed mushrooms (stuffed side up) onto a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake uncovered until the mushrooms are soft and the filling is starting to brown (about 30 minutes). Serve hot.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.