Last Updated on
This super-quick and easy spicy edamame recipe takes edamame beans from plain to spectacular. The cooked beans are simply tossed in a mix of hot oil, liquid smoke, garlic, salt, sambal and red pepper flakes and are bursting with flavor.
This post was originally published on Nov. 15, 2015.
How to make spicy edamame step by step:
Step 1. Start by steaming or boiling 1 pound frozen edamame beans according to package instructions.
RECIPE TIP: Don’t overcook the edamame beans or otherwise their shells will get fragile and start to break when you’re trying to eat the beans out of their pods.
Step 2. Let the cooked edamame dry on a paper towel and set aside.
Step 3. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 2 peeled and crushed garlic cloves, 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sambal and 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes to a large pan.
Step 4. Turn on the heat and once the mix becomes fragrant, toss the beans in the oil.
RECIPE TIP: Be sure to let the cooked edamame beans dry well before tossing them into the hot oil. If you don’t, they’ll end up soggy.
How to eat spicy edamame:
Eat the edamame by biting into the pods and squeezing out the beans. Discard the empty pods.
More Asian-inspired recipes:
- Asian Noodle Salad
- Stir Fry Sauce
- Sweet and Sour Ginger Roasted Mushrooms
- Thai Chicken Curry
- Cold Sesame Noodles
- Fried Coconut Rice with Shrimp
- Asian Meatballs
- Ginger Lime Cilantro Chicken Wings
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Chicken Noodle Stir Fry
- Sesame Tofu
- Spicy Coconut Shrimp Soup
- 1 pound frozen edamame beans in their shells
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sambal
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicier)
- Steam or boil the edamame beans according to package instructions.*
- Drain the beans and let dry.**
- Add oil, garlic, liquid smoke, salt, sambal and red pepper flakes to a large pan.
- Heat until fragrant.
- Add the edamame beans, stir to coat and cook for another minute.
- Eat the edamame by biting into the pods and squeezing out the beans. Discard the empty pods.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: