Last Updated on
This spiced eggnog is creamy and delicious and full of warm, comforting pumpkin spice fall flavors. It’s very easy to make and a million times better than the store-bought stuff! For an adult version you can add rum to it. Scroll down for step-by-step photos.
Our evenings are getting mighty cold up here in the mountains which means it’s time for eggnog! I actually used to not like this sweet, custardy drink but I discovered recently that that was only because I had never had the homemade version.
The difference between store-bought and home-cooked eggnog is enormous and it’s really delicious if you make it yourself. It’s also very quick and easy to prepare so I highly recommend you leave the tasteless stuff on the shelf and cook up your own.
To make spiced eggnog for four you need:
How to make spiced eggnog:
You start by heating up milk in a saucepan. While that’s going, you whisk together sugar, pumpkin spice and egg yolks in a bowl.
Next you take some of the hot milk and whisk it into your egg mix. Then you add a bit more milk and repeat until all the milk is mixed in. (The reason why you do this step in batches is so you don’t accidentally make scrambled eggs with too much hot milk.)
Now you transfer the mix back into the saucepan, bring it to a low simmer and stir continuously until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. You turn the heat off and let the custard cool completely.
The last step is to stir in cream and, if you want to, rum. The rum is optional, the eggnog tastes great with or without it!
How to turn this recipe into a pumpkin spice latte:
I recently figured out that this recipe (with one modification) also makes a terrific latte!
Here’s what you do: you skip the egg yolks and mix just the milk, the sugar, the pumpkin spice and the heavy cream together (if you’re not into super sweet, you can reduce the sugar by as much as half).
Steam the mix with the steam wand of your espresso machine, pull one shot of espresso for each drink and mix it in.
It will taste like a Starbucks PSL!
How to serve spiced eggnog:
I recommend you serve the eggnog along with these delicious Pumpkin Spice Hazelnut Cookies:
More delicious fall dessert recipes:
- Bruleed Chai-Spiced Pots de Creme
- Hazelnut Pumpkin Spice Trifles
- Maple Hazelnut Custard
- Maple Mascarpone Cream
- Maple Pecan Bread Pudding
- Pumpkin Spice Ganache
- Pumpkin Spice Hazelnut Cookies
- S’mores Mousse Tart with Crystallized Ginger Meringue
- Pumpkin Spice Hazelnut Churros
- Spiced Irish Coffee
- Stovetop Apple Crisp
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus more for garnish
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup rum, optional
- whipped cream, optional
- Heat the milk to a low simmer in a saucepan.
- While the milk is heating up, whisk sugar, spice and egg yolks until they are lighter in color and texture than they were when you started.
- Take about 1/4 cup of the hot milk and quickly whisk it into the sugar/egg mix.
- Repeat previous step two more times.
- Transfer the milk/egg mix into the saucepan.
- Stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, bring the custard to a low simmer and keep simmering until it is thick enough to just coat the back of the spoon.
- Let the custard cool completely.
- Stir in the cream and the rum (if using).
- Serve cold, with whipped cream and pumpkin spice sprinkled on top.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: