This spiced eggnog is creamy, delicious and full of warm, comforting pumpkin spice fall flavors. It’s very easy to make and a million times better than anything you get at the store. You can make the recipe without alcohol or you can stir dark rum or Bourbon into it. It will taste great either way!
For another spiced Holiday favorite also check out this delicious Irish coffee!
What's in spiced eggnog?
This recipe is made with all the traditional eggnog ingredients plus pumpkin spice.
Ingredient notes & substitutions:
- Dark rum is best for this recipe but if you only have light rum available, you can use that as well.
- Use ⅔ cup sugar if you're adding alcohol. Use only ½ cup sugar if you're making the non-alcoholic version.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Heat milk in a saucepan.
Step 2. While the milk is heating, add sugar, pumpkin spice and egg yolks to a bowl.
Step 3. Start whisking the egg yolk mix.
Step 4. Keep whisking until the mix turns lighter in color and texture than when you started.
Step 5. Pour about ¼ cup of the hot milk into the egg mix and whisk it in. Add a bit more milk and repeat until all the milk is mixed in.
Step 6. Transfer the mix back into the saucepan, bring to a low simmer and stir continuously until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Turn the heat off, let the custard cool completely, then stir in heavy cream. Stir in rum or Bourbon (optional). Chill in the fridge until you're ready to serve it.
Recipe notes & tips:
- Be sure to add the hot milk in batches so you don't accidentally make scrambled eggs with too much hot milk.
Frequently asked questions:
Either dark rum or Bourbon work great in this eggnog recipe.
Serve eggnog cold as a dessert drink. It is rich, creamy and sweet and works well as a stand alone dessert.
You can keep the eggnog covered in the refrigerator for about a day.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
- measuring cups and spoons
- mixing bowl
- rubber spatula
- wooden spoon
- 2 cups milk
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar (use only ½ cup if you're making the non-alcoholic version)
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus more for garnish
- 4 large egg yolks
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup dark rum or Bourbon, optional
- Heat the milk to a low simmer in a saucepan.
- While the milk is heating up, whisk sugar, spice and egg yolks until they are lighter in color and texture than they were when you started.
- Take about ¼ cup of the hot milk and quickly whisk it into the sugar/egg mix.
- Repeat previous step two more times.*
- Transfer the milk/egg mix into the saucepan.
- Stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, bring the custard to a low simmer and keep simmering until it is thick enough to just coat the back of the spoon.
- Let the custard cool completely.
- Stir in the cream and the rum or the Bourbon (if using). Chill and store in the refrigerator. Serve cold.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.