Last Updated on
Our evenings are getting mighty cold up here in the mountains which means it’s time for eggnog! I actually used to not like this sweet, custardy drink but I discovered recently that that was only because I had never had the homemade version.
The difference between store-bought and home-cooked eggnog is enormous and it’s really delicious if you make it yourself. It’s also very quick and easy to prepare so I highly recommend you leave the tasteless stuff on the shelf and cook up your own. Enjoy!
P.S.: This eggnog also makes a terrific latte, just mix 1/2 cup of the eggnog with 1/4 cup milk, steam the mix until hot, then pour a fresh shot of espresso in – tastes like a Starbucks PSL.
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus more for garnish
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup rum, optional
- whipped cream, optional
- Heat the milk to a low simmer in a saucepan.
- While the milk is heating up, whisk sugar, spice and egg yolks until they are lighter in color and texture than they were when you started.
- Take about 1/4 cup of the hot milk and quickly whisk it into the sugar/egg mix.
- Repeat previous step two more times.
- Transfer the milk/egg mix into the saucepan.
- Stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, bring the custard to a low simmer and keep simmering until it is thick enough to just coat the back of the spoon.
- Let the custard cool completely.
- Stir in the cream and the rum (if using).
- Serve cold, with whipped cream and pumpkin spice sprinkled on top.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!