This spiced apple clafoutis is an easy baked apple dessert that is full of apple and chai spice-inspired flavors. You can bake it in a casserole pan or in individual ramekins.
The flavor combination was inspired by these Baked Cardamom Cinnamon Sugar Donuts but here cardamom and cinnamon are joined by a tart, juicy, caramelly cooked Honeycrisp apple.
What is clafoutis?
A clafoutis is a French fruit dessert made with a very thin batter that’s baked in the oven. It’s kind of a cross between a Dutch baby and a custard.
*NOTE: Don’t use any other apple variety, you need the acidity and juiciness of a Honeycrisp apple.
How to make it:
Step 1. Whisk together 1 egg and 2 tablespoons light brown sugar until well combined.
Step 2. Whisk in 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup whole milk, 1/4 cup heavy cream, 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Set the batter with the whisk aside.
Step 3. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a small saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, then stir in 1 tablespoon light brown sugar. Cook the mix until bubbly, then add the apple slices and cook, turning them over once or twice, until soft (~10 min.).
Step 4. Butter your baking dish(es)*, then lay the apple slices into it.
*RECIPE NOTE: You can either use four 5-inch diameter ramekins or one 3-cup capacity casserole or pie pan.
Step 5. Briefly whisk the batter again, then pour or ladle it into the ramekins or the pan.
Step 6. Set the baking dish(es) on a baking sheet and bake until the batter is set and there is absolutely no jiggle in the center when you shake the pan (13 to 18 minutes). Let cool to almost room temperature. (The clafoutis will puff up in the oven and then deflate as it cools).
Step 7. Generously sift powdered sugar over the top of the clafoutis, cut into sections and serve.
How to store leftovers:
You can cover the ramekins or pan with plastic wrap and store leftovers in the fridge for up to 1 day. Warm up the clafoutis in the microwave.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Spiced Apple Clafoutis
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, divided
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- pinch of salt
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, quartered, peeled, cored and sliced into about 20 slices total
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg and 2 tablespoons brown sugar until well combined.
- Whisk in the flour, then the milk, the cream, the spices and the salt. Set the batter with the whisk aside.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan or skillet, stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar and cook until the mix is bubbly, then add the apple slices and cook, moving them around a few times, until soft (~10 min.)
- Meanwhile, use the remaining ½ tablespoon of butter to grease the ramekins or the pan.* Set aside.
- Lay the apple slices into the ramekins or the pan.
- Briefly whisk the batter again, then pour or ladle it into the ramekins or the pan.
- Set on a baking sheet and bake until completely set and no longer jiggly in the center (13 to 18 minutes).
- Let cool to almost room temperature, then sprinkle generously with powdered sugar and serve.