Juicy apple slices and a spiced batter are baked into a slice of deliciousness in this easy apple clafoutis. The batter is made with cinnamon and cardamom and works great with the caramelly cooked Honeycrisp apple.
What is clafoutis?
A clafoutis is a French fruit dessert made with a very thin batter that’s baked in the oven. It’s kind of a cross between a Dutch baby and a custard.
*INGREDIENT NOTE: Don’t use any other apple variety for this recipe, you need the acidity and juiciness of a Honeycrisp apple here.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Prepare the batter and the apples:
- Whisk together egg and light brown sugar until well combined. Whisk in all-purpose flour, whole milk, heavy cream, cardamom, cinnamon and salt.
- Melt butter, then stir in light brown sugar and cook the apple slices until soft.
Bake the clafoutis:
- Butter your baking dish(es)*, then lay the apple slices into it.
*RECIPE NOTE: You can either use four 5-inch diameter ramekins or one 3-cup capacity casserole or pie pan.
- Pour or ladle the batter into the ramekins or the pan.
- Set the baking dish(es) on a baking sheet and bake until the batter is set. Let cool.
- Generously sift powdered sugar over the top of the clafoutis, cut into sections and serve.
How to store leftovers:
You can cover the ramekins or pan with plastic wrap and store leftovers in the fridge for up to 1 day. Warm up the clafoutis in the microwave.
More delicious desserts:
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Spiced Apple Clafoutis
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, divided
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- pinch of salt
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, quartered, peeled, cored and sliced into about 20 slices total
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg and 2 tablespoons brown sugar until well combined. Whisk in the flour, then the milk, the cream, the spices and the salt. Set the batter with the whisk aside.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan or skillet. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar and cook until the mix is bubbly. Add the apple slices and cook, moving them around a few times, until soft (~10 min.).
- Use the remaining ½ tablespoon butter to grease the ramekins or the pan.* Set aside. Lay the apple slices into the ramekins or the pan.
- Briefly whisk the batter again, then pour or ladle it into the ramekins or the pan.
- Set on a baking sheet and bake until completely set and no longer jiggly in the center (13 to 18 minutes).
- Let cool to almost room temperature, then sprinkle generously with powdered sugar and serve.