Juicy apple and a spiced batter are baked into a slice of deliciousness in this easy apple clafoutis. The batter is made with cinnamon and cardamom and works great with the caramelly cooked Honeycrisp apple.
Why make this recipe?
This is a really delicious and very easy to make baked apple dessert that’s perfect for any occasion.
- Please don’t use any other apple variety for this recipe, you need the acidity and juiciness of a Honeycrisp apple here.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Whisk together egg and light brown sugar until well combined. Whisk in all-purpose flour, whole milk, heavy cream, cardamom, cinnamon and salt.
Step 2. Melt butter, then stir in light brown sugar and cook the apple slices until soft.
Step 3. Butter your baking dish(es), then lay the apple slices into it.
Step 4. Pour or ladle the batter into the ramekins or the pan.
Step 5. Set the baking dish(es) on a baking sheet and bake until the batter is set. Let cool to slightly above room temperature.
Step 6. Generously sift powdered sugar over the top of the clafoutis, cut into sections and serve.
Recipe notes & tips:
You can use either 4 ramekins (5-inch diameter) or 1 casserole or pie pan (3-cup capacity) for this recipe.
Frequently asked questions:
You can cover the ramekins or pan with plastic wrap and store leftovers in the fridge for up to 1 day. Gently warm up the clafoutis in the microwave.
A clafoutis is kind of a cross between a Dutch baby and a custard. It has a sweet batter that’s perfectly balanced by tart fruit.
I personally find that clafoutis tastes best when it’s slightly above room temperature. But it’s a matter of personal preference!
More delicious apple desserts:
See more baked desserts →
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Join our mailing list to get all the latest recipes sent to your inbox!
Full Printable Recipe
Spiced Apple Clafoutis
- measuring spoons and cups
- mixing bowl
- knife and cutting board
- small saucepan or skillet
- 4 ramekins (5-inch diameter) or 1 casserole or pie pan (3-cup capacity)
- baking sheet
- sieve to sift powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, divided
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- pinch of salt
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, quartered, peeled, cored and sliced into about 20 slices total
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg and 2 tablespoons brown sugar until well combined. Whisk in the flour, then the milk, the cream, the spices and the salt. Set the batter with the whisk aside.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan or skillet. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar and cook until the mix is bubbly. Add the apple slices and cook, moving them around a few times, until soft (~10 min.).
- Use the remaining ½ tablespoon butter to grease the ramekins or the pan.* Set aside. Lay the apple slices into the ramekins or the pan.
- Briefly whisk the batter again, then pour or ladle it into the ramekins or the pan.
- Set on a baking sheet and bake until completely set and no longer jiggly in the center (13 to 18 minutes).
- Let cool to almost room temperature, then generously sift powdered sugar over it and serve.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed.