Last Updated on
How to make this slow cooker Indian chicken curry:
You start with the prep work for this curry and that involves boiling and then pureeing an onion as well as making a spice paste by mixing a bit of water with powdered ginger, fresh garlic, turmeric, curry and chili powder.
Then you get to cooking! You briefly sear boneless, skinless chicken thighs in a Dutch oven, then fry a handful of spice seeds (fenugreek, cumin, coriander and mustard seeds), the pureed onion, sliced carrot, a star anise and the spice paste you made earlier.
Next you add canned crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken broth, bring everything to a boil and then transfer it to the slow cooker.
Three hours later you open the lid, stir in sour cream and you’re ready to go! You can serve the curry with rice but I personally prefer naan for this one.
In the mood for more curries? I can recommend this Shrimp Coconut Curry:
Slow Cooker Indian Chicken Curry
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- vegetable oil
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 teaspoon whole fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black, brown or yellow mustard seeds
- 1 whole star anise
- 1/2 carrot, sliced
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup sour cream or more, if desired
- cilantro for garnish
- 2 over easy eggs optional
- Peel the onion and chop into ~ 1-inch chunks.
- Put onion into a pot along with 1 cup of water and boil without a lid until almost all water has evaporated. Let cool for a bit.
- Put ginger, garlic, turmeric, curry powder and chili powder together in a small bowl, add 3 tablespoons of water and mix with a spoon to make a paste. Set aside.
- Transfer the boiled onion (along with any water there may be) into a food processor and process into a puree.
- Heat a little bit of vegetable oil in a Dutch oven until shimmering.
- Lightly season the chicken thighs with salt, then sear them on both sides in the hot oil.
- Turn the heat down.
- Move the chicken thighs over to one side of the Dutch oven and add fenugreek, cumin, coriander and mustard seeds to the other side. Fry the seeds for 4 - 5 minutes (the seeds need to sizzle but be careful not to burn them).
- Carefully add the onion puree (be careful, this will splatter!).
- Add the star anise and the carrot.
- Turn the heat back up and fry onion and carrot for 10 minutes.
- Remove the star anise.
- Add the spice paste and stir until you have a homogeneous mix.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken broth and mix well. Let the mix come to a boil, then transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low for 3 hours.
- Stir in the sour cream.
- Serve the curry with naan or rice and sprinkle with cilantro.
- For extra flavor and substance, fry one egg per serving either sunny side up or over easy and put it on top of the curry.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!