Last Updated on
This easy spicy coconut shrimp soup comes together in only 20 minutes and does not compromise on flavor. Chili powder and fresh jalapeños make it spicy, lime juice adds freshness and coconut milk rounds out the flavors.
This post was originally published on Aug. 7, 2014.
How to make spicy coconut shrimp soup:
1. Start by heating up 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil in a pot or a pan. Once the oil is hot, add 1 medium-sized minced shallot and 2 medium-sized minced jalapeno peppers (remove the seeds and ribs unless you want it very, very spicy). Saute the vegetables until they start to soften (about 5 minutes).
2. Add 1 minced or pressed garlic clove along with 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1.5 cups chicken broth and 1/2 cup coconut milk.
3. Bring the soup to a boil, then add 12 raw, peeled shrimp to it. Turn the heat down and simmer the soup until the shrimp are cooked through.
4. Add 3 ounces cooked Asian-style noodles (such as hokkien) and continue to cook for another minute. Sprinkle a few drops of fresh lime juice over the soup and serve.
RECIPE NOTES: As always, I recommend that you use high-quality chili powder from a dedicated spice shop rather than a regular grocery store, it will make a huge difference in the flavor of the soup. You can also make your own chili powder, I have a great recipe you can find here: Chunky Chili.
How spicy is this coconut shrimp soup?
The level of spiciness in this soup is mostly determined by the fresh jalapeno peppers. The heat in the peppers sits almost entirely in the ribs and seeds, so the more ribs and seeds you remove, the less spicy the soup will be.
More delicious Asian-inspired recipes:
- Spicy Edamame
- Asian Noodle Salad
- Stir Fry Sauce
- Sweet and Sour Ginger Roasted Mushrooms
- Thai Chicken Curry
- Cold Sesame Noodles
- Fried Coconut Rice with Shrimp
- Asian Meatballs
- Ginger-Glazed Bok Choy with Tofu and Noodles
- Ginger Lime Cilantro Chicken Wings
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Chicken Noodle Stir Fry
- Sesame Tofu
- Shrimp Coconut Curry
- Steak Stir Fry
Spicy Coconut Shrimp Soup
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium-sized shallot minced
- 2 medium-sized jalapeño peppers, minced, ribs and seeds removed*
- 1 large garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 12 raw shrimp, peeled
- a few drops of lime juice
- 3 ounces cooked Asian-style noodles, such as hokkien
For garnish (optional):
- sliced chili pepper
- sprouts of your choice, I used mung bean sprouts here
- sliced scallions
- Heat the oil in a pot until shimmering.
- Add shallot and jalapeño and saute until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic, chili powder, broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add the shrimp, turn down the heat and simmer until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Add the noodles and heat through.
- Fill into bowls and sprinkle with a few drops of lime juice.
- Top with garnish and serve.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: