This salted caramel toffee is topped with a layer of chocolate and sprinkled with fleur de sel. It is hard but crumbly and has great flavor thanks to lots of butter.
How to make it:
Step 1. Start by lining a 7″ by 11″ glass or metal baking pan with parchment paper.
Step 2. Add 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1.5 cups granulated sugar, 1 cup light brown sugar and 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream to a saucepan.
Step 3. Heat the mix, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the butter is melted and the sugars are dissolved.
Step 4. Turn up the heat and, stirring occasionally, let the mix go all the way to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, measured on a candy thermometer. (That’s hot and dangerous so do be very careful.)
RECIPE NOTE: It will take a while to get to 300 degrees F. The mix will heat up to 200 degrees F. quickly, then stay at 200 degrees for a bit and then very slowly move to 300 degrees.
Step 5. Turn the heat off, then carefully stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Pour the hot caramel into the baking pan and let sit for a minute.
Step 6. Add a mix of 3 ounces of finely chopped bittersweet chocolate and 3 ounces of finely chopped semisweet chocolate on top of the still hot toffee.
Step 7. Once the chocolate is melted, evenly spread it around using an offset spatula, a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon.
Step 8. Let the toffee cool and sprinkle with fleur de sel.
Using a large knife, cut the toffee up into small pieces.
RECIPE TIP: To clean the saucepan, let it cool a bit, then fill it with water and let it sit for 20 minutes or so. After that it will clean up very easily.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Salted Caramel Toffee
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped*
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped*
- fleur de sel
- Line a 7–inch by 11–inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add butter, sugars and cream into a saucepan and heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Boil the mix until it registers 300 degrees F. on a candy thermometer, stirring occasionally with the wooden spoon.** (Be careful, 300 degrees F. is extremely hot and dangerous. Do not, under any circumstances, touch the caramel OR the pot).
- Turn the heat off and, very carefully, standing back, stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the hot mix into the baking pan and let it sit for a minute.
- Evenly distribute the chocolate over the hot toffee and let it sit until it starts to melt.
- Evenly spread the chocolate over the toffee using an offset spatula or a rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle with fleur de sel.
- Once the chocolate has solidified, cut the toffee into pieces.