This tasty side dish has the perfect balance of flavors with strong rosemary and butternut and just a little bit of sweetness from crunchy and buttery brown sugar pecans. It works great with spicy sausage and is equally good with roasted poultry.
For more delicious roasted vegetable side dish recipes, check out these Roasted Fall Vegetables with Mustard Seeds and Bacon and these Roasted Tomatoes with Tarragon Cream Sauce.
How to make it:
Step 1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and cut 1 1/4 pound butternut squash into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups of cubes).* Toss the squash with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary in a large bowl.
*RECIPE NOTE: You can peel and cube the butternut squash 1 day ahead. Keep the raw cubes in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to make the dish.
Step 2. Spread the cubes out on a baking sheet* in a single layer and roast in the oven until soft (about 35 minutes). Move the cubes around 15 minutes into the roasting time.
*RECIPE NOTE: I recommend using a dark metal sheet pan for this recipe because that will brown the squash nicely from the bottom. (Here is a bit more about dark versus light baking sheets).
Step 3. Melt 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter in a pan, then add 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans and stir on medium-high heat for a minute. Add 1 teaspoon light brown sugar and continue to stir until the sugar is melted and the pecans are evenly coated (a few minutes). Toss the nuts with the squash.
How to serve it:
Serve this side dish with spicy sausage or with roasted poultry. If you have leftovers, you can easily store them in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat the dish in a pan on the stovetop.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Rosemary Roasted Butternut Squash with Brown Sugar Pecans
- 4 cups ¾-inch cubes butternut squash (about 1 ¼ pound)
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried rosemary
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup roughly chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl toss the squash with the olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Transfer to a baking sheet* and roast until soft (about 35 minutes). Stir everything around half-way through the roasting time.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the pecans and stir them around on medium-high heat for a minute.
- Add the sugar and stir around on medium heat until the sugar is melted and the pecans are evenly coated (a few minutes).
- Toss the pecans with the squash and serve.