Rosemary roasted butternut squash and crunchy, buttery brown sugar pecans come together in this tasty side dish. Serve it with spicy sausage or roasted poultry.
Love pecans? Be sure to also check out this creamy and flavorful maple pecan bread pudding.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
- Heat the oven, then peel and cut butternut squash into cubes. Toss with olive oil, salt, black pepper and dried rosemary.
- Spread the cubes out on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast until soft.
- Melt butter in a pan, then add chopped pecans. Stir in light brown sugar.
- Toss the nuts with the squash.
How to serve it:
Serve this side dish with spicy sausage or with roasted poultry.
How to store leftovers:
You can easily store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat the dish in a pan on the stovetop.
Recipe notes, tips and questions:
Yes, you have to peel butternut squash. Cut the whole squash into 5 to 6 individual pieces and peel each piece. You can use a paring knife or a vegetable peeler to do the peeling.
A dark metal baking sheet is best for roasting butternut squash because a dark sheet will brown the squash nicely from the bottom. (Here is a bit more about dark versus light baking sheets.)
Yes, you can peel and cube butternut squash 1 day ahead.
Store raw, peeled and cut butternut squash in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 day.
You can keep peeled and cut raw butternut squash in the fridge for up to 1 day.
Spicy sausage and roasted chicken or turkey go really well with butternut squash.
More delicious side dishes:
See all side dish recipes ->
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Rosemary Roasted Butternut Squash with Brown Sugar Pecans
- 4 cups ¾-inch cubes butternut squash (about 1 ¼ pound)
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried rosemary
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup roughly chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a bowl, toss the squash with the olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Transfer to a baking sheet* and roast until soft (about 35 minutes). Stir everything around half-way through the roasting time.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add the pecans and stir them around on medium-high heat for a minute. Add the sugar and stir around on medium heat until the sugar is melted and the pecans are evenly coated (a few minutes).
- Toss the pecans with the squash and serve.