These roasted fall vegetables with mustard seeds and bacon make an easy and delicious main course. Because this is a sheet pan dinner, there is very little effort (and even less cleanup) required.
How to make it:
This recipe is super simple: You peel and cut up 4 turnips, 4 carrots and 1 red onion. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl, then cut up 4 red potatoes (leave the skin on, it tastes good and contains a lot of nutrients), 1 green bell pepper and 6 slices of bacon. Toss all the vegetables and the bacon with 4 teaspoons ground yellow mustard seeds and 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves. (The bacon adds enough fat, so there is no need for oil).
Transfer the mix to a rimmed baking sheet and roast in a 400-degree oven until the vegetables are tender (40 to 50 minutes), mixing everything around every 20 minutes. That’s all there is to it. :)
Why use mustard seeds in this recipe?
Ground mustard seeds add a deep earthy flavor without adding any of the acidity that actual mustard would add. The mustard seeds complement the fall vegetables perfectly and don’t add any tartness.
(Also note that, because mustard seeds on their own are not actually very pungent at all, this dish is not at all spicy.)
You can use yellow mustard seeds or already ground yellow mustard powder for this recipe. If you’re using mustard seeds, grind them in a mortar with a pestle into a powder.
More roasted vegetable recipes:
- Roasted Tomatoes with Tarragon Cream Sauce
- Roasted Mushrooms with Chive Garlic Butter
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad
- Turnip Potato Gnocchi with Browned Butter and Sage
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Roasted Fall Vegetables with Mustard Seeds and Bacon
- 4 turnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 carrots, sliced in half and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 red potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds or yellow mustard powder*
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss vegetables, bacon, mustard powder and thyme together in a bowl, then transfer to a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast until tender (40 – 50 minutes), mixing everything around every 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt (depending on the salt content of the bacon you use, you may not need any additional salt).