Last Updated on
Last week I pulled the first turnips and beets of the season out of our vegetable garden and since my go-to recipe for root vegetables is to roast them that’s what I did but this time I added a few embellishments. One of them was bacon and the other two a sprinkling of crushed yellow mustard seeds and a smattering of fresh thyme leaves. It turned out beautifully. The bacon provided enough fat and salt, so there wasn’t any need for oil or seasoning.
I simply tossed the raw vegetables with the bacon and the mustard seeds, put them in the oven and 45 minutes later we had a complete and very delicious main course on the table. For days when you want or need a hands-off meal this one’s perfect. :)
More delicious roasted vegetable recipes:
Roasted Vegetables with Mustard Seeds and Bacon
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 carrots, sliced in half and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 beet, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 red potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss bacon, vegetables and mustard seeds and add to a roasting pan.
- Roast until tender (40 – 50 minutes).
- Sprinkle with the thyme leaves.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: