This gourmet tarragon cream sauce is creamy, tangy, herby and delicious. It’s made with heavy cream and works great with grilled chicken and a number of different side dishes. Serve it with roasted tomatoes, asparagus, new potatoes or winter squash.
Why make this recipe?
This velvety, creamy sauce has a good amount of tang from white wine, a salty umami flavor from chicken bouillon and a touch of tarragon’s signature licorice-like flavor. It’s easy to make in under 20 minutes and turns a chicken dinner into something extraordinary.
- If fresh tarragon is not available you can substitute dried tarragon. (Use ½ teaspoon instead of a 1 ½ teaspoons if you’re using dried tarragon.)
- Be sure to use heavy cream for this sauce and not cream with a lower fat content. Anything with a lower fat content will result in a thin and runny sauce.
How to make the sauce:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Bring white wine and a chicken bouillon cube to a simmer.
Step 2. Cook the liquid uncovered until it is reduced to about ⅓ of a cup. Let cool for a few minutes.
Step 3. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and heavy cream together, then whisk the cream/yolk mix into the wine. Warm the sauce back up for a few minutes, stirring continuously.
Step 4. Stir in the tarragon.
Recipe notes & tips:
- Be careful not to boil the sauce after you’ve whisked in the cream/egg yolk mix; heat it just enough so that you can see steam.
Frequently asked questions:
Serve this sauce with grilled chicken, roasted tomatoes and steamed or roasted new potatoes, winter squash or asparagus.
Transfer leftover sauce into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. Very gently reheat the sauce on the stovetop, stirring continuously, until you can see steam. (Don’t let the sauce boil or it will curdle.)
No. This sauce is full of delicious flavors but it is not at all spicy.
More sauce recipes you’ll love:
See all sauce recipes →
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Join our mailing list to get all the latest recipes sent to your inbox!
Full Printable Recipe
Tarragon Cream Sauce
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board
- pot or saucepan
- mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- 1 cup dry white wine
- chicken bouillon cube for 1 cup of liquid
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves* (you need about a 9-inch sprig or an equivalent amount for that)
- Add wine and chicken bouillon cube to a pot or a saucepan and bring to a boil. Keep boiling (uncovered) until the wine is reduced to about ⅓ cup.
- Turn the heat off and let cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg yolk into the cream.
- Whisk the cream/yolk mix into the wine.
- Stirring continuously, turn the heat back on to heat the sauce for about 3 minutes.** Turn the heat off and add the tarragon.