This gourmet tarragon cream sauce is creamy, tangy, herby and delicious. It’s made with heavy cream and works great with grilled chicken and a number of different side dishes. Serve it with roasted tomatoes, asparagus, new potatoes or winter squash.
What does tarragon cream sauce taste like?
This velvety, creamy sauce has a good amount of tang from white wine, a salty umami flavor from chicken bouillon and a touch of tarragon’s signature licorice-like flavor.
Is this tarragon sauce spicy?
No. This sauce is full of delicious flavors but it is not at all spicy.
- If fresh tarragon is not available you can substitute dried tarragon. (Use ½ teaspoon instead of a 1 ½ teaspoons if you’re using dried tarragon.)
- Be sure to use heavy cream for this sauce and not cream with a lower fat content. Anything with a lower fat content will result in a thin and runny sauce.
How to make the sauce:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
- Bring white wine and a chicken bouillon cube for 1 cup of liquid to a simmer.
- Cook the liquid uncovered until it is reduced to about ⅓ of a cup. Let cool for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and heavy cream together, then whisk the cream/yolk mix into the wine. Warm the sauce back up for a few minutes, stirring continuously.
- Stir in the tarragon.
How to serve it:
Serve this sauce with grilled chicken, roasted tomatoes and steamed or roasted new potatoes, winter squash or asparagus.
How to store leftovers:
Transfer leftover sauce into an airtight containers and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. Very gently reheat the sauce on the stovetop, stirring continuously, until you can see steam. (Don’t let the sauce boil or it will curdle.)
More sauce recipes you’ll love:
See all sauce recipes ->
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Tarragon Cream Sauce with Heavy Cream
- 1 cup dry white wine
- chicken bouillon cube for 1 cup of liquid
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves* (you need about a 9-inch sprig or an equivalent amount for that)
- Add wine and chicken bouillon cube to a pot or a saucepan and bring to a boil. Keep boiling (uncovered) until the wine is reduced to about ⅓ cup.
- Turn the heat off and let the wine cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg yolk into the cream.
- Whisk the cream/yolk mix into the wine.
- Stirring continuously, turn the heat back on to heat the sauce for about 3 minutes.** Turn the heat off and add the tarragon.