This roasted pepper and corn salad is perfect as a side dish for grilled meat and seafood. Fresh cilantro, lime juice and chili and cayenne powder make the goat cheese dressing fresh and spicy and complement the sweet corn and roasted red pepper nicely.
How to roast the vegetables:
Soak the corn in water:
You have to plan ahead a little bit for this recipe because you have to soak the ears of corn in a bucket of water for 8 to 10 hours. (That allows the corn to absorb enough water to steam inside the husk in the oven later.) What I like to do is put the corn in the water in the morning and by dinner time it’s ready for the oven.
Roast corn and pepper:
Heat the oven to 400 degrees F., then set the corn (with husk) directly on the oven rack. Set the pepper on a small aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
Rotate the pepper every 15 minutes to get a good char on it all around. Once that’s done, you can peel and scrape the skin off fairly easily. (But don’t go crazy with that, if some of the skin sticks to the pepper, just leave it on, it’s not going to hurt anything.) The stem, ribs and seeds of the pepper will come off very easily with a paring knife.
Remove the husk and the silk from the corn, cut off the kernels, then cut the pepper into small chunks and mix them with the corn.
How to make the dressing:
To make the dressing, whisk goat cheese, lime juice, chili and cayenne powder, sour cream, mayonnaise, milk, garlic and chopped fresh cilantro together until you have a smooth consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle over the corn and red pepper.
More delicious salads:
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Roasted Pepper and Corn Salad with Goat Cheese Dressing
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 red bell pepper
For the dressing:
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- a few drops lime juice
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
- Soak corn in the husk in cold water for 8 – 10 hours.
- Roast corn and pepper together in a 400-degree oven for one hour. (Place the whole ears, with husk, directly on the oven rack. Place the pepper on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and rotate every 15 minutes to get a good char all around the pepper).
- Peel the pepper, pull out the stem and scrape out the seeds and ribs and cut the pepper into thin slices.
- Remove the husk and silk from the corn and cut off the kernels.
- Add corn and pepper to a bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients until you have a smooth dressing. Add milk to thin the dressing to your liking.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and serve with a main dish and tortilla chips.