This easy homemade tarragon mustard is made with yellow mustard seeds, orange juice, apple cider vinegar, salt and dried tarragon. It has an intense sharpness that makes it perfect for rustic sandwiches. You can also fill it into pretty jars and give as a homemade gift!
I really enjoy making my own homemade condiments, whether it’s a simple seasoning salt, homemade pickles or a rustic, artisanal mustard like this one. I have found that mustard is actually surprisingly easy to make at home. All you need is mustard seeds, seasonings of your choice and an acidic liquid, such as vinegar or citrus juice. For the recipe here, I opted for a mix of orange juice and apple cider vinegar and I seasoned the mustard with salt and tarragon.
Ingredient notes & substitutions:
- You can substitute rice vinegar for apple cider vinegar, if you prefer.
- The amount of tarragon listed in the recipe will yield a very subtle tarragon flavor. Add more tarragon if you prefer a stronger flavor.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Add mustard seeds, orange juice, vinegar and water to a glass liquid measuring cup or a glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 8 hours.
Step 2. Transfer the mix to a food processor and add salt and dried tarragon.
Step 3. Process until the mustard becomes smooth.
Step 4. Fill the mustard into a glass jar with a lid and let it sit in the fridge for 2 days before starting to use it. This resting period is very important; the mustard starts out incredibly bitter but all the bitterness disappears within 2 days of preparation.
Frequently asked questions:
Store the mustard in a glass container the fridge.
Homemade mustard keeps for about 1 month in a closed glass jar in the fridge.
This mustard is great for rustic and grilled sandwiches, such as this leftover Thanksgiving turkey sandwich.
More delicious tarragon recipes:
See all tarragon recipes →
Did you make this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Homemade Tarragon Mustard
- ⅓ cup yellow mustard seeds
- ⅓ cup freshly pressed orange juice (you need about 1 ½ oranges for that)
- ⅙ cup apple cider vinegar*
- ⅙ cup cold water
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon**
- Add mustard seeds, juice, vinegar and water to a glass liquid measuring cup or a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit at room temperature for 8 hours.
- Transfer the mix into a food processor and add salt and tarragon.
- Process until smooth. (This will take a few minutes. Keep processing until the mustard seeds are breaking up and the mustard thickens.)
- Transfer the mustard into a glass jar, cover and let sit in the fridge for 2 days before starting to use it.*** Store the mustard in the fridge and use it up within about a month.