Last Updated on
These pumpkin spice hazelnut cookies are covered with a sweet maple glaze and strike a great balance between hardy and delicate. They are full of delicious warm fall flavors and make the perfect treat for a fall afternoon.
This post was originally published on Oct. 3, 2013.
How to make pumpkin spice hazelnut cookies:
In a mixing bowl, whisk together 2.5 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and a 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Beat in 16 tablespoons softened, unsalted butter.
Keep the mixer going until the dough turns crumbly. That’s your cue to add 2.5 teaspoons pumpkin spice, 3 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts and 3 tablespoons softened cream cheese. Cream cheese is a fairly unusual ingredient in cookie dough but it works very nicely here. It doesn’t make the cookies taste tangy, it just adds richness and gives the cookies a nicely tender texture.
That’s all there is to it for the dough; just wrap it up and let it rest in the fridge for half an hour. After that you’re ready to roll it out, cut out the cookies and bake them for 10 to 12 minutes in a 375-degree oven.
How to make the maple glaze:
There is cream cheese in the glaze for these cookies as well and here you can taste it just a little bit. Mostly though the cream cheese adds great texture to the glaze and the predominant flavors are sweetness from powdered sugar and intense maple flavor from maple extract. Simply whisk all ingredients together and drizzle the glaze on the cookies once they’re cooled.
To avoid adding additional flour to the dough, I recommend rolling it out between two sheets of plastic wrap. Remove the sheets after you’ve rolled out the dough, then cut out the cookies.
How to serve the cookies:
I suggest you serve these cookies along with a cup of hot chocolate (or a mocha) topped with this Pumpkin Spice Ganache:
More delicious cookie recipes:
- Vanilla Bean Cookies
- Spiced Linzer Cookies with Dulce de Leche
- Linzer Cookies with Ginger Cardamom Raspberry Jam
- Cardamom Meringue Cookies
Pumpkin Spice Hazelnut Cookies
For the cookies:
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2.5 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
For the glaze:
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- a few drops of maple extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
For the cookies:
- Whisk together flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer.
- Cut the butter into chunks and slowly beat into the flour/sugar mix.
- Continue to beat until the dough starts to get crumbly, then add the spice, 3 tablespoons of cream cheese and the nuts. Mix a little more, until everything is well combined.
- Bring the dough together by hand, form into two discs, wrap them each in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap, cut out the cookies and bake on a parchment-lined cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes.
For the glaze:
- Whisk remaining tablespoon of cream cheese together with powdered sugar, maple extract and milk and glaze the cookies with it.
- If you feel like it, make another batch of glaze without the maple extract and drizzle on top.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: