When you want the perfect start to a crisp fall day, it’s hard to beat this warm and comforting pumpkin spice banana bread.
Why make this recipe?
Banana and pumpkin spice are a great combo. The warm fall flavors of the spice blend are great with the fruit and work really well in this spiced banana bread.
The bread is perfect for breakfast. It’s light but firm, not very sweet at all and full of comforting flavors.
What’s in banana bread?
This recipe is made with all the traditional banana bread ingredients, plus pumpkin spice.
- Nuts add a light crunch that contrasts well with the otherwise soft texture of this banana bread. Walnuts and/or pecans work best.
- If you don’t have any brown sugar on hand, you can make your own from granulated sugar and molasses. Add ½ cup granulated sugar to a bowl, then add 1 teaspoon molasses to it. Grab a fork and mash the molasses into the sugar. This will take a little while and you will see the sugar gradually transform into brown sugar.
- You’ll need very ripe bananas for this recipe for their moisture, sweetness and intense banana flavor. The riper, the better. If you don’t have ripe bananas on hand, check out how to ripen bananas in the oven in the frequently asked questions section below.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Start by greasing a 9–inch by 5–inch by 3–inch loaf pan with vegetable shortening.
Step 2. Next, heat the oven to 350 degrees F., then whisk together the dry ingredients.
Step 3. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas into a puree using a fork.
Step 4. In a mixing bowl, whip the butter and the brown sugar with an electric mixer until creamy.
Step 5. Whip the eggs into the butter/sugar mix.
Step 6. Whip in the dry ingredients and then the mashed bananas.
Step 7. Stir the chopped nuts into the batter.
Step 8. Fill the batter into the loaf pan.
Step 9. Bake the bread for 45 to 55 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely in the pan.
Frequently asked questions:
Have a toasted and buttered slice of this banana bread for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. You can also spread cream cheese on it.
Yes, banana bread freezes very well. Transfer the bread into a freezer bag, seal and put in the freezer. It will keep for at least 2 months that way.
If you eat banana bread within a day or two, you can leave it out on the kitchen counter, covered with plastic wrap. If you want to keep the bread longer than that, I recommend that you keep it refrigerated in a freezer bag or other airtight container. Toast the individual slices before serving.
If your bananas are not ripe enough when you want to make the bread, you can ripen them in the oven in a matter of a few minutes. Lay them on a baking sheet and put them in the oven at 350 degrees F. until the peels turn dark brown like in the photo below (about 15 minutes). Take them out and let them cool a bit, then use them. The flesh will be perfectly soft.
More delicious pumpkin spice recipes:
- 10-Minute Pumpkin Spice S’mores Trifles10 minutes
- Hazelnut Pumpkin Spice Roll-Out Cookies with Maple Glaze57 minutes
- Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Ganache13 minutes
- Spiced Irish Coffee10 minutes
See all recipes with pumpkin spice →
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thank you!
Full Printable Recipe
Pumpkin Spice Banana Bread
- 9–inch by 5–inch by 3–inch loaf pan
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board
- mixing bowls
- standing mixer or handheld mixer
- wooden spoon
- rubber spatula
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin spice
- pinch of salt
- 2 ripe or very ripe bananas
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar*
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans work best)
- Grease a 9–inch by 5–inch by 3–inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Using a fork, mash the bananas into a puree. Set aside.
- Whip butter and sugar in a bowl until creamy.
- Whip in the eggs.
- Whip in the dry ingredients, then the mashed bananas.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Fill the batter into the pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let the bread cool completely in the pan, then unmold.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.