This pork belly rub adds just the right amount of seasoning to pork belly without taking away from the incredibly delicious flavor of the meat itself. The spice rub is made with smoked paprika, pepper, garlic and onion powder, ground fennel seed, oregano and salt. Fennel is a very subtle background flavor here that supports the smoky paprika and the remaining ingredients nicely.
Roast the seasoned pork belly until crispy on the outside and fall-apart tender on the inside and serve along with this honey chipotle mayo in tacos.
For a more prominent fennel flavor, be sure to also try this fennel dry rub that’s perfect for pork chops!
What’s in the dry rub:
How to make it:
Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir together until well combined.
How to use it:
See full instructions in the recipe card below!
- Rub the raw pork belly evenly with the seasoning.
- Chill in the fridge for about 4 hours.
- Roast in a cast iron pan in the oven until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
How to serve roasted pork belly:
Tender and crispy pork belly slices are incredible on tacos along with fresh tomato, charred jalapeno pepper slices, crunchy lettuce and spicy honey chipotle mayo. Pork belly is also great on salads or in sandwiches.
Recipe notes & tips:
- The amount of seasoning will seem light when you apply it but it will be just right. That’s because the pork belly will shrink dramatically in volume during the cook time because so much fat will render.
More delicious spice rub recipes for pork:
See all dry rubs & seasonings→
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thank you!
Full Printable Recipe
Pork Belly Rub (sugar-free)
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- paper towels
- airtight container
- cast iron pan
- kitchen tongs
- ¼ teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground fennel seed
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mild olive oil
- 6 ounces pork belly
- Add paprika, pepper, garlic and onion powder, fennel, oregano and salt to a small bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Pat the pork belly dry using paper towels, then rub evenly with the seasoning.* Transfer into an airtight container and set in the fridge for about 4 hours.
- Pour the oil into a cast iron pan, then set the pan into the cold oven. Heat the oven to 450 degrees F. with the pan in it.
- Once the oven has reached 450 degrees, set the pork belly into the hot pan using kitchen tongs. Roast the pork for 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 275 degrees F. and continue to roast until tender (about 1 hour).
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.