Creamy, herby, garlicky and with a lot of brightness from lemon zest, this delicious 5-minute oregano sauce instantly transforms grilled chicken, fish or pasta into a gourmet meal.
Love creamy, herby sauces? You might also like this White Wine Tarragon Cream Sauce.
- For a nice, garden-fresh herb flavor you can use 1 ½ teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano instead of the dried herb.
How much sauce does this recipe make?
This recipe makes about 1 cup of sauce. You can easily double or half the recipe, depending on what you need.
How to make it:
This sauce is very simple to make. Start by melting 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a skillet. Add 4 minced or pressed garlic cloves and cook until fragrant.
Add ½ cup chicken broth, ½ cup heavy cream and 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese.
Bring to a boil and cook, stirring continuously, until the sauce thickens. Stir in 1 teaspoon dried oregano and 1 teaspoon lemon zest.
How to serve it:
This sauce is great on grilled or roasted chicken or seafood, or on pasta. If you’re in a time crunch, cut a chicken breast into bite-sized cubes, toss them with vegetable oil and put under the broiler until the chicken is cooked (~10 min.), then serve with this sauce and rice for a delicious meal in minutes.
How to store it:
If you have any leftovers, or want to make the sauce ahead, simply cool and store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Gently re-heat it on the stovetop or the microwave.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
5-Minute Oregano Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano*
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (you need ~1 lemon for that)
- Melt the butter in a skillet.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (~30 seconds).
- Add chicken broth, cream and Parmesan, bring to a boil and cook, stirring continuously, until the sauce thickens (~4 minutes).
- Stir in the oregano and the lemon zest.