Creamy, herby, garlicky and with a lot of brightness from lemon zest, this delicious oregano sauce instantly transforms grilled chicken, fish or ravioli into a gourmet meal.
Why make this recipe?
This garlic oregano sauce is absolutely delicious, easy and super-fast to make with just a few common ingredients. It tastes great on practically everything. From grilled and roasted chicken to shrimp, gnocchi, ravioli, you name it!
Ingredient notes & substitutions:
- For a nice, garden-fresh herb flavor you can use finely chopped fresh oregano instead of the dried herb.
- You can use pre-grated Parmesan or freshly grated Parmesan cheese for this recipe.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. This sauce is very simple to make. Start by melting butter in a saucepan or skillet.
Step 2. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
Step 3. Add chicken broth, heavy cream and Parmesan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring continuously, until the sauce thickens.
Step 4. Stir in oregano and lemon zest.
How to serve it:
This sauce is great on grilled, baked, fried or roasted chicken or seafood. It also makes a great ravioli sauce.
Here are a few options of how to use it:
- If you’re in a time crunch, cut a chicken breast into bite-sized cubes, toss them with vegetable oil and put under the broiler until the chicken is cooked (~10 min.), then serve with this sauce and rice for a delicious meal in minutes.
- Alternatively, you can pound a chicken breast really thin (about ¼ inch thick*), then coat it with all-purpose flour on both sides. Fry the chicken breast in melted butter in a cast iron pan until cooked (about 5 minutes on each side).
*RECIPE NOTE: The meat has to be that thin to cook quickly. If you leave it thicker than that, it will take quite a bit longer to cook through.
Frequently asked questions:
If you have any leftover sauce, or want to make the sauce ahead, simply cool and store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Gently re-heat it on the stovetop or in the microwave.
This recipe makes about 1 cup of sauce. You can easily double or half the recipe, depending on what you need.
More delicious cream sauce recipes:
See more sauce recipes →
Did you make this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
5-Minute Oregano Sauce
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board OR garlic press
- cheese grater (if using block cheese)
- lemon zester
- skillet or saucepan
- wooden spoon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced or pressed through a garlic press
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano*
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (you need ~1 lemon for that)
- Melt the butter in a skillet or saucepan.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (~30 seconds).
- Add chicken broth, cream and Parmesan, bring to a boil and cook, stirring continuously, until the sauce thickens (~4 minutes).
- Stir in the oregano and the lemon zest.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed.