This delicious orange pepper seasoning is very peppery and has a nice orange flavor from dried and ground orange zest. Onion and garlic powder add great umami to this spice rub and dried rosemary is a background flavor that balances the pepper and the citrus.
What’s in the seasoning?
How to make it:
Step 1. Zest a large orange and let the zest dry at room temperature. (This takes about 1 day).
Step 2. Add the dried orange zest to a mortar.
Step 3. Grind the zest into a coarse powder with a pestle.
Step 4. Add the ground zest and all remaining ingredients to a bowl and stir until well combined.
How to store it:
Store this seasoning in an airtight container in a dark, cool place.
How to use it:
This seasoning is delicious on any cut of chicken, from boneless, skinless chicken breast to chicken thighs. Rub the seasoning on the meat, then grill or broil.
For another delicious orange chicken recipe also check out these orange maple chicken wings that are subtly spiced with crushed red pepper flakes and clove.
How spicy is this seasoning?
This seasoning has a medium level of spiciness from the ground black pepper.
More delicious pepper seasonings:
- Chimichurri Dry Rub5 Minutes
- Cuban-Inspired Spice Rub Recipe5 Minutes
- Salmon Dry Rub5 Minutes
- Mediterranean Spice Rub for Chicken5 Minutes
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thank you!
Full Printable Recipe
Orange Pepper Seasoning Recipe
- citrus zester
- wax paper or parchment paper
- paper towel
- mortar and pestle
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- 1 large orange
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Zest the orange and sprinkle the zest onto wax paper or parchment paper. Cover loosely with a paper towel and let sit at room temperature until the zest is completely dry (about 1 day).
- Grind the orange zest in a mortar with a pestle into a coarse powder (you should get about 1 teaspoon dried ground orange zest).
- Add ground orange zest along with all remaining ingredients to a bowl and stir until well combined.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.
Leave a Comment