This cheesy savory mushroom puff pastry tart makes a stunning appetizer that's super easy to make. The mushrooms are flavored with onion, garlic and marjoram and are baked on a layer of white cheddar cheese. A little bit of sour cream adds a subtle tanginess that balances the rich cheese and pastry perfectly.
Note: I recommend cremini mushrooms for this recipe.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Set a puff pastry sheet out to thaw at room temperature. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and cut each cap into 4 to 6 chunks.
Step 2. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Saute diced onion in olive oil until starting to soften. Stir in garlic. Add the mushroom chunks and cook, uncovered, until they have released their liquid and the liquid has evaporated.
Step 3. Stir in marjoram, salt and pepper, then stir in sour cream.
Step 4. Roll the puff pastry sheet into a 10" by 13" rectangle and transfer to a lined baking sheet. Top with cheese, then spoon the mushrooms on top of the cheese. Bake until golden-brown.
Frequently asked questions:
Cut the hot tart into 6 slices using either a serrated knife or a pizza wheel and serve hot.
Yes, this tart reheats very well. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat in the oven at 400 degrees F.
More delicious mushroom recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Savory Mushroom Puff Pastry Tart
- knife and cutting board
- garlic press (optional)
- measuring spoons
- cheese grater
- kitchen scale
- pan (I like to use cast iron)
- wooden spoon
- rolling pin
- baking sheet
- parchment paper or baking mat
- serrated knife or pizza wheel
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 pound mushrooms*
- 2 tablespoons mild olive oil
- ¼ cup minced white onion (you need about ⅓ of a small onion for that)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons full-fat sour cream
- 6 ounces grated medium white cheddar cheese
- Set the sheet of puff pastry out to thaw at room temperature (this will take about 40 minutes). Once you have 20 minutes of thaw time left, prepare the mushrooms: Remove the stems, then cut each cap into 4 to 6 small pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan until shimmering.
- Add the onion to the hot oil and saute until starting to soften (2 to 3 minutes).
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant (~1 minute).
- Add the mushroom chunks and cook, uncovered, until they have given off their liquid and the liquid is cooked off (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in marjoram, salt and pepper and cook for a minute, then turn off the heat.
- Stir in the sour cream, then set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the puff pastry sheet into a 10" by 13" rectangle. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Evenly distribute the cheese onto the pastry, then spoon the mushrooms on top.
- Bake until the tart is golden-brown around the edges (20 to 25 minutes). Serve hot.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.