Last Updated on
Do you like the combination of whipped cream and chocolate cake? If so, you’ll love these mini chocolate bites. They are mini chocolate cupcakes topped with a very light and fluffy whipped cream chocolate mousse. The mousse frosting contrasts beautifully with the cupcakes and together they make a delightful, no-utensils-required, bite size dessert.
How to make mini chocolate bites:
You want to start with the chocolate mousse frosting for these mini cupcakes because even though it is very simple to make, it does take 4 hours to chill.
How to make the chocolate mousse frosting:
To make the frosting, you melt 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate in 1/2 cup heavy cream over low heat. (Be careful not to let the cream get too hot, it should just get warm enough to melt the chocolate.) Next you chill the mix for 4 hours in the fridge, then you whip it as if it were regular whipped cream.
How to make the chocolate mini cupcakes:
To make the chocolate mini cupcakes, you start by heating the oven to 350 degrees F. and lining a mini muffin pan with 20 mini cupcake liners.
To make the batter, whisk 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/8 teaspoon salt together in a bowl. Set the dry ingredients aside.
In another bowl, whisk 1/4 cup boiling water, 2.5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder together until dissolved. Set that mix aside as well.
In a mixing bowl, beat together 4 tablespoons softened, unsalted butter and 1/3 cup granulated sugar until well combined.
Beat in 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 egg, then add the dry ingredients.
Beat in the chocolate mix and continue to beat until everything is well combined.
Distribute the batter among the muffin tins and fill each cavity 2/3 full. Bake the mini cupcakes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (10 – 15 minutes).
Let the cupcakes cool, then pipe the frosting onto them.
Mini chocolate bites recipe tips:
- Be sure to treat the topping exactly like you would treat whipped cream, in other words, keep it refrigerated if you’re not serving it immediately and pipe it on only right before serving, it cannot sit around for very long.
- If you don’t feel like cupcakes, you can eat the topping as a mousse by itself or with a dollop of whipped cream as pictured below:
Love chocolate cake desserts? I can recommend this Chocolate Bourbon Cake:
Mini Chocolate Bites
For the frosting:
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the mini cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2.5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
For the frosting:
- Add chocolate and cream to a saucepan and slowly heat and stir until the chocolate is dissolved. Be careful not to let the cream get too hot, it should not simmer, it should just be hot enough to dissolve the chocolate.
- Transfer the mix to a bowl and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Beat the mix with an electric mixer until firm.
For the mini cupcakes:
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a mini muffin pan with liners.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk boiling water, cocoa powder and espresso powder together until dissolved. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add vanilla and egg to the butter mix and continue to beat until well combined and slightly creamy.
- Add the flour mix to the butter/sugar and beat until well combined.
- Add the chocolate mix and continue to beat until well combined.
- Distribute the batter among muffin tins, filling each 2/3 full.
- Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (10 – 15 minutes).
- Let the cupcakes cool, then pipe the frosting onto them.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: