Last Updated on
These mini chocolate cupcakes are topped with a fluffy but firm whipped cream chocolate mousse. The mousse frosting contrasts well with the cupcakes and together they make a wonderful bite-size dessert that’s full of intense chocolate flavor.
This post was originally published on Oct. 20, 2015.
How to make mini chocolate cupcakes:
You want to start with the chocolate mousse frosting for this recipe because even though it is very simple to make, it does take 4 hours to chill.
How to make the chocolate mousse frosting:
Step 1. Add 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate and 1/2 cup heavy cream to a small saucepan.
Step 2. Dissolve the chocolate over low heat. (Be careful not to let the cream get too hot, it should just get warm enough to melt the chocolate.)
Step 3. Let the mix cool completely, then transfer to a small mixing bowl, cover and chill in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
Step 4. Whip the mix with an electric mixer as if it were regular whipped cream.
How to make the chocolate mini cupcakes:
Step 1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. and line a mini muffin pan with 20 mini cupcake liners.
Step 2. To make the batter, whisk 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/8 teaspoon salt together in a bowl. Set the dry ingredients aside.
Step 3. In another bowl, whisk 1/4 cup boiling water, 2.5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder together until dissolved. Set that mix aside as well.
Step 4. Add 4 tablespoons softened, unsalted butter and 1/3 cup granulated sugar to a mixing bowl.
Step 5. Whip together the butter and the sugar until well combined.
Step 6. Whip in 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 egg, then whip in the dry ingredients.
Step 7. Whip in the chocolate mix and continue to whip until everything is well combined.
Step 8. Distribute the batter among the muffin tins and fill each cavity 2/3 full. Bake the mini cupcakes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (10 – 15 minutes).
Step 9. Let the cupcakes cool, then pipe the frosting onto them.
RECIPE TIP: Be sure to treat the topping like you would treat whipped cream, in other words, keep it refrigerated if you’re not serving it immediately and pipe it on only right before serving, it cannot sit around for very long.
Love chocolate cake desserts? I can also recommend this Chocolate Bourbon Cake:
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Mini Chocolate Cupcakes
For the frosting:
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the mini cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2.5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
For the frosting:
- Add chocolate and cream to a saucepan and slowly heat and stir until the chocolate is dissolved. Be careful not to let the cream get too hot, it should not simmer, it should just be hot enough to dissolve the chocolate.
- Transfer the mix to a bowl and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Beat the mix with an electric mixer until firm.
For the mini cupcakes:
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a mini muffin pan with liners.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk boiling water, cocoa powder and espresso powder together until dissolved. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add vanilla and egg to the butter mix and continue to beat until well combined and slightly creamy.
- Add the flour mix to the butter/sugar and beat until well combined.
- Add the chocolate mix and continue to beat until well combined.
- Distribute the batter among muffin tins, filling each 2/3 full.
- Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (10 – 15 minutes).
- Let the cupcakes cool, then pipe the frosting onto them.
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: