This creamy Mexican shredded chicken dip is is flavored with chili powder seasoning and ground chipotle pepper. It’s a great appetizer for entertaining because you can bake the dip in several small dishes and place them along the dinner table.
- Be sure to use full-fat cream cheese and sour cream for this dip. Products labeled as low-fat or reduced-fat have a higher moisture content and that can affect how they melt during baking.
- As always, I recommend to get the spices from a dedicated spice shop to ensure freshness and quality.
- You can make shredded chicken yourself or use rotisserie chicken meat for this dip. Simply shred the meat with a knife or two forks. (And for something to do with the remaining rotisserie chicken, check out this paprika chicken soup!)
How to make the dip:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Whip cream cheese, sour cream, garlic, onion powder, salt, chipotle and chili powder together until smooth.
Step 2. Stir in all remaining ingredients.
Step 3. Transfer into one or more baking dishes and bake.
How to serve the dip:
Top the hot dip with a dusting of ground chipotle pepper and finely chopped fresh scallion. Serve hot with tortilla chips and/or crackers.
Variations on this recipe:
This dip is really good with shrimp instead of shredded chicken as well. Grill about 8 ounces of shrimp, chop them up into small chunks and use instead of chicken.
Frequently asked questions:
This recipe makes about 3 cups of dip. You can bake it in one large baking or casserole dish or in several small ones.
Yes, you can make the dip up to 8 hours ahead and keep in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it.
More delicious cream cheese dips:
See more appetizer recipes →
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Mexican Shredded Chicken Dip
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board
- garlic press (optional)
- mixing bowl
- standing mixer or handheld mixer
- rubber spatula
- casserole or baking dish(es) with a total capacity of 3 cups
- 6 ounces full-fat block cream cheese,* softened
- ¾ cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, (more for serving)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder seasoning
- 1 chopped scallion, (more for serving)
- ¼ cup minced red onion (you need about ⅓ of a small onion for that)
- 30 jalapeno pepper slices from a jar, minced
- ½ cup shredded extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 ¾ cups shredded chicken**
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, garlic, onion powder, salt, chipotle and chili powder to a mixing bowl. Whip until smooth.
- Stir in scallion, red onion, jalapeno, cheddar and chicken.
- Transfer into baking dish(es)*** and bake, uncovered, until hot (about 15 minutes).
- Sprinkle ground chipotle pepper and scallion on the dip and serve hot with tortilla chips and/or crackers.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.
Leave a Comment