This lemony Mediterranean grilled chicken marinade is full of flavor and super quick and easy to make. You only need a few common ingredients, spices and herbs that you probably have on hand.
Why make this recipe?
Marinades are one of the easiest and best ways to add flavor to a chicken breast. (Which is why I believe that you can never have too many of them!) This Mediterranean-inspired marinade is very easy to make and delivers nice citrus, herb and spice flavors that pair well with anything from Greek salad to hummus, dolma or just plain rice and even French fries. Along with this cajun chicken breast marinade this one has become a staple in our house!
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Whisk all marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
Step 2. Stir in cubed boneless, skinless chicken breast.
Step 3. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Step 4. Grill the chicken.
Recipe notes & tips:
- Rather than marinating whole chicken breasts, I cut the meat into bite-sized cubes for this recipe. That allows more marinade to penetrate and also makes for a short grill time and easy and convenient eating.
- This marinade has no yogurt in it to let the pure citrus and spice flavors shine through. If you’re more in the mood for a yogurt marinade, be sure to check out this ras el hanout and yogurt chicken marinade!
Frequently asked questions:
Mediterranean grilled chicken works great with anything from rice to Greek salad, hummus, falafel or dolma. You can even serve it with French fries!
Store any leftover grilled chicken in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in a pan on the stovetop. Consume within 3 days.
Definitely not. Try to leave as much of the oil and spice coating on the chicken as possible for maximum flavor.
More Mediterranean flavors you’ll love:
Did you make this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Marinade
- measuring spoons
- glass bowl
- knife and cutting board
- rubber spatula or spoon
- releasable plastic bag
- metal skewers
- grill or grill pan
- meat thermometer (recommended)
For the marinade:
- 2 tablespoons mild olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ⅜ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
For the chicken:
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized cubes
- In a bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, oregano, nutmeg, black pepper, allspice, and cumin.
- Stir in the chicken cubes, transfer to a resealable plastic bag and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade,* skewer and grill until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.