These crispy, baked maple orange chicken wings are messy to eat but are worth the cleanup. They are glazed with a sticky sauce made from maple syrup, orange juice, salt, butter, cloves and crushed red pepper flakes. Sweet, sour, salty and spicy!
For more delicious wings, check out this Ginger Lime Cilantro Chicken Wings recipe.
For the wings:
- I used whole chicken wings here but you can use separated wings (wingettes and drumettes) instead, if you like.
For the glaze:
How to make the wings:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F., then pat chicken wings dry with paper towels.
RECIPE NOTE: It’s really important to dry the wings well because only dry wings will get nice and crispy.
Brush the wings with a little bit of vegetable oil, then sprinkle salt and pepper on them. Place the wings on a wire rack, set the wire rack on an aluminum foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and bake the wings in the oven for 40 minutes.
How to make the glaze:
Step 2. While the wings are in the oven, make the glaze on the stovetop. Add cloves, butter, red pepper flakes, salt, syrup and orange juice to a saucepan.
Bring everything to a boil, then simmer, whisking or stirring continuously, until the glaze thickens. (This will take about 15 to 20 minutes).
Step 3. After the initial 40 minutes in the oven, brush the wings with the glaze, then return them to the oven for another 10 minutes. Right before serving, spoon more of the glaze on and sprinkle with chopped green onions (optional).
More delicious appetizers:
See all appetizer recipes ->
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Maple Orange Chicken Wings
- 12 chicken wings
- vegetable oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 green onion, optional
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pat the wings dry with paper towels,* then brush the wings with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on it. Put the wings on the rack in a single layer and bake for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine maple syrup, juice, butter, salt, red pepper flakes and cloves in a saucepan and simmer until the sauce thickens (15 to 20 minutes).
- Take the wings out of the oven, brush with the glaze, return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes. Check that the internal temperature of the wings has reached 165 degrees F. to make sure the wings are fully cooked.
- Spoon more glaze on, then sprinkle with green onion (if using) and serve.