This easy maple mustard marinade puts a deliciously sweet, herby and mildly tangy spin on a chicken breast. It was inspired by my maple tarragon roasted turnip side dish and has a similar flavor profile full of comforting fall coziness. Serve the baked chicken with roasted root vegetables and turnip gnocchi for a delicious and satisfying meal.
Why make this recipe?
This marinade turns boneless, skinless chicken breast into pure fall comfort food. The sweet maple flavor is balanced perfectly by a little bit of Dijon mustard and white wine vinegar and the tarragon adds a nice earthy freshness.
What’s in the marinade?
- Use a mild olive oil for this marinade.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Prepare the chicken:
Step 1. Set the chicken breast on a cutting board or mat, cover with plastic wrap and pound into an even thickness with a meat mallet. (You can also use a rolling pin instead of a meat mallet.)
Marinate the chicken:
Step 2. Whisk all marinade ingredients together in a bowl, then transfer to a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken breast, move it around to get it well coated, then marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Bake the chicken:
Step 3. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F., then line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a wire rack on it. Set the marinated chicken breast on the wire rack. Bake uncovered until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. (about 25 minutes for a chicken breast that’s ½ inch thick).
How to serve it:
Serve the baked chicken with roasted root vegetables and/or turnip gnocchi and browned butter for a delicious and satisfying meal. (Melt and brown about 1 tablespoon of butter per person.)
More delicious chicken marinade and spice rub recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Join our mailing list to get all the latest recipes sent to your inbox!
Full Printable Recipe
Maple Mustard Marinade for Chicken
- measuring spoons
- knife and cutting board OR garlic press
- mixing bowl
- cutting board or mat
- plastic wrap
- meat mallet or rolling pin
- resealable plastic bag
- baking sheet
- aluminum foil
- wire rack
- meat thermometer (recommended)
For the marinade:
- 1 tablespoon mild olive oil
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced or pressed through a garlic press
For the chicken:
- 1 medium-sized chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
For the marinade:
- Whisk all marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
For the chicken:
- Set the chicken breast on a cutting board or mat, cover with plastic wrap and lightly pound the thick end with a meat mallet until you get an even thickness. (If you don't have a meat mallet you can use a rolling pin instead.)
- Transfer the marinade to a resealable plastic bag, add the chicken breast, close the bag and move the chicken around until it's evenly coated.
- Marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a wire rack on it. Take the chicken breast out of the marinade and set on the wire rack. Bake uncovered until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. (about 25 minutes for a chicken breast that's ½ inch thick).