This easy maple mustard marinade turns boneless, skinless chicken breast into pure fall comfort food. The sweetness of the maple syrup is balanced by sharp Dijon mustard and white wine vinegar. Dried tarragon adds a nice earthy freshness.
This recipe was inspired by my maple glazed turnips and has a similar flavor profile full of comforting fall coziness. For more fall-flavored marinades also check out this apple cider marinade for chicken!
Ingredient notes and substitutions:
- Use a mild olive oil for this marinade.
- Use real maple syrup (not any imitations) for this recipe.
- For a variation on this recipe, you can use dried thyme instead of tarragon (use the same amount).
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Prepare the chicken:
Step 1. Set the chicken breast on a cutting board or mat and cover with plastic wrap. Pound into an even thickness with a meat mallet. (You can also use a rolling pin instead of a meat mallet.)
Marinate the chicken:
Step 2. Whisk all marinade ingredients together in a bowl, then transfer to a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken breast, move it around to get it well coated, then marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Step 3. Take the chicken out of the marinade and bake or grill.
What to serve with the chicken:
This chicken is great with roasted root vegetables, such as these maple roasted turnips or with apple cider green beans.
More delicious chicken marinade recipes:
- Honey Chili Chicken Marinade (with Sriracha sauce)1 Hours 15 Minutes
- Cajun Chicken Marinade (smoky and spicy)1 Hours 15 Minutes
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Marinade40 Minutes
- Herbs de Provence Chicken Marinade1 Hours 15 Minutes
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Maple Mustard Marinade for Chicken
- measuring spoons
- knife and cutting board OR garlic press
- mixing bowl
- cutting board or mat
- plastic wrap
- meat mallet or rolling pin
- resealable plastic bag
- baking sheet
- aluminum foil
- wire rack
- digital meat thermometer (recommended)
For the marinade:
- 1 tablespoon mild olive oil
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced or pressed through a garlic press
For the chicken:
- 1 medium-sized chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
For the marinade:
- Whisk all marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
For the chicken:
- Set the chicken breast on a cutting board or mat and cover with plastic wrap. Lightly pound the thick end with a meat mallet until you get an even thickness. (If you don't have a meat mallet you can use a rolling pin instead.)
- Transfer the marinade to a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken breast, close the bag and move the chicken around until it's evenly coated.
- Marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and bake or grill.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a wire rack on it. Take the chicken breast out of the marinade and set on the wire rack. Bake the chicken, uncovered, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. (The baking time will be about 25 minutes for a chicken breast that's ½ inch thick.)
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and grill until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. (About 15 minutes for a chicken breast that's ½ inch thick.)
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.
Leave a Comment