Last Updated on
This delicious maple mascarpone frosting takes only a few minutes to put together and works great on chocolate cakes and cupcakes. You make the frosting by whipping together softened mascarpone cheese, heavy cream, sugar, maple flavoring and vanilla extract.
This post was originally published on October 29, 2014.
For a long time I knew mascarpone only as a tiramisu ingredient, which is a shame because this soft cheese is super tasty and very useful in lots of other applications, I’ve come to discover. Here I have an easy and delicious maple mascarpone frosting that comes together in minutes.
- What is the consistency of this frosting?
- Ingredients needed:
- How to make the frosting:
- How to use the frosting:
- How to store the frosting:
- Variations on this recipe:
- More delicious fall desserts:
What is the consistency of this frosting?
This frosting is stiffer than whipped cream but still fluffy and not as firm and rigid as buttercream.
How to make the frosting:
To make the frosting, add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whip with a standing mixer or with a handheld electric mixer until you get a very firm consistency.
How to use the frosting:
- If you want to use the frosting on chocolate cupcakes, I have a great recipe here: Mini Chocolate Cupcakes.
- For a great chocolate cake to use this frosting on, I recommend this Chocolate Bourbon Cake recipe, made as a layer cake. (The recipe makes two 9-inch layers.) Note that one frosting recipe will be enough for layers on a naked cake. If you want to coat the outside of the cake as well, double the frosting recipe.
How to store the frosting:
Use the frosting immediately after making it or keep it in the fridge for up to 1 day. (If the frosting loses its firmness in the fridge, briefly whip it again to stiff peaks right before using it.) Keep any leftover frosted baked goods refrigerated.
Variations on this recipe:
You can easily turn this recipe from a maple mascarpone frosting into an espresso mascarpone frosting, which also works great with chocolate cakes and cupcakes. To do that, leave out the maple flavoring and instead add 1.5 teaspoons instant espresso powder. All other ingredients and amounts remain the same.
More delicious fall desserts:
- Maple Hazelnut Custard
- Bruleed Chai-Spiced Pots de Creme
- Maple Pecan Bread Pudding
- Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Ganache
- Pumpkin Spice Hazelnut Cookies
- S’mores Mousse Tart with Crystallized Ginger Meringue
- Pumpkin Spice Hazelnut Churros
- Spiced Eggnog
- Spiced Irish Coffee
- Stovetop Apple Crisp
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Maple Mascarpone Frosting
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whip all ingredients until you get a very firm consistency.
- Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to 1 day.*