This light and airy lemon Bavarian cream is full of lemon flavor with just a touch of ginger. It’s a great and easy-to-make summer dessert.
- Please note that you cannot substitute fresh ginger in this recipe. Fresh ginger contains enzymes that keep gelatin from setting.
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Bavarian cream is set with gelatin and that’s what this recipe starts with: add powdered, unflavored gelatin and cold water to a saucepan and set aside.
Step 2. In a large mixing bowl, combine egg yolks*, sugar, powdered ginger, lemon zest and lemon juice.
*RECIPE NOTE: Add the egg whites to a clean mixing bowl. You will whip them later.
Step 3. Briefly whisk egg yolks, sugar and flavorings together, then set aside.
Step 4. Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks. Set aside.
Step 5. In a separate bowl, whip heavy cream with sugar to stiff peaks (you don’t need to clean the beaters in between whipping the egg whites and the cream). Set aside.
Step 6. By now the gelatin has soaked up the water and you can heat it up just enough to dissolve it completely (this should only take a minute). Whisk the gelatin into the egg yolk mix.
Step 7. Add the whipped cream to the egg mix.
Step 8. Quickly whisk it into the mix.
Step 9. Add the whipped egg whites to the mix.
Step 10. Quickly whisk them in until fully combined.
Chill the cream:
Quickly fill the cream into individual glasses or a serving bowl and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
How to serve it:
To serve the Bavarian cream, top each serving with a thin slice of lemon and sprinkle with finely chopped pistachios (optional).
You can keep this dessert refrigerated for several hours but you should consume it on the same day that you made it.
Variations on this recipe:
For a different way to flavor this dessert, check out my main Bavarian Cream post. It’s the same base recipe but flavored with hazelnut liqueur instead of lemon and ginger.
More delicious lemon desserts:
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Join our mailing list to get all the latest recipes sent to your inbox!
Full Printable Recipe
Lemon Ginger Bavarian Cream
- 1 teaspoon powdered, unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 large eggs, separated
- ⅓ cup + 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger*
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, lightly packed (you need 1 large lemon for that)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup heavy cream
- thin lemon slices, as garnish (optional)
- finely chopped pistachios, as garnish (optional)
- Add gelatin and water to a saucepan. Let sit for 4 minutes.
- While the gelatin is blooming, whisk the egg yolks with ⅓ cup sugar, ginger, lemon zest and lemon juice until well combined. Set aside.
- Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Whip the cream with 1 teaspoon sugar to stiff peaks.**
- Heat the bloomed gelatin until just dissolved.
- Whisk the gelatin into the egg yolk mix.
- Whisk in the whipped cream.
- Whisk in the egg whites.
- Fill the mix into individual glasses, bowls or a serving bowl.
- Chill until set (at least 1 hour).
- Garnish the cream with a thin slice of lemon and finely chopped pistachios (optional).