Ready in 30 minutes, these roasted lemon basil potatoes make a great side dish that’s full of flavor and freshness. Finely chopped basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil and Russet potatoes is all you need.
For more things to do with fresh basil, check out this Pesto Aioli.
How to make it (overview with photos):
- Turn on the oven and while it’s preheating, cut the potatoes into ½-inch cubes. Toss with olive oil in a bowl.
- Spread the potato cubes out on a baking sheet and roast.
- Stir together olive oil, basil, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Toss the basil lemon oil with the potatoes and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Recipe notes, tips and questions:
Can I cut the potatoes into cubes larger than ½ inch?
You can, but if cut them larger they will take longer to roast. To ensure that this side dish takes no more than 30 minutes to make, be sure to cut ½-inch cubes.
Can I double this recipe?
Yes, that’s no problem. Just be sure to use a large enough baking sheet that will fit all the potatoes in a single layer.
How should I store leftovers:
You can transfer leftovers into an airtight container and store in the fridge. Reheat the potatoes in a 400-degree oven for a few minutes.
General questions about roast potatoes:
Roasted potatoes are a great side dish for grilled or roasted chicken or seafood, such as tilapia fillets.
To get crispy roast potatoes, use a dark baking sheet. Dark metal baking sheets will brown potatoes really well from the bottom and that will make them nice and crispy.
You can either peel potatoes before roasting them or leave the skin on, whichever you prefer. ( If you don’t peel them, be sure to wash and then dry the raw potatoes well.)
More delicious side dishes:
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Roasted Lemon Basil Potatoes
- 1 ½ pounds Russet potatoes
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil*
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wash the raw potatoes and dry them with a paper towel.
- Cut the unpeeled potatoes into ½-inch cubes. Toss the cubes with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large baking sheet** and spread into a single layer. Roast until soft on the inside (about 25 minutes). Stir the cubes around halfway through the baking time.
- In a small bowl, stir the remaining olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and basil together.
- Toss the potatoes with the lemon basil oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.