This easy Chinese hot and sour soup is packed with flavors from minced pork, tofu, shiitake mushrooms, bamboo shoots, fresh chili pepper, honey and rice vinegar. It’s easy to make, substantial enough to make a great main course and you can make it as sour and as spicy as you like by adding more or less rice vinegar and crushed red pepper flakes.
How to make it (overview with photos):
- Brown the meat, then add the vegetables and saute.
- Pour in soy sauce and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add tofu, then season with honey and rice vinegar.
- Thicken the soup with corn starch, bring to a boil, then pour in beaten egg and add red pepper flakes.
More Asian-inspired recipes:
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Easy Hot and Sour Soup
- 1 ½ teaspoons vegetable oil
- 5 ounces minced pork chops
- 10 bamboo shoots out of a can, sliced into strips
- ½ chili pepper, seeds and ribs removed and thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 ounces tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2-3 teaspoons rice vinegar*
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes*
- fresh cilantro, as garnish
- Heat the oil on high heat in a pot or a Dutch oven until shimmering.
- Add the meat and fry until starting to brown.
- Add bamboo shoots, chili pepper, green onion and shiitake and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and broth and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat off, add the tofu, then stir in the honey and the vinegar (start with 2 teaspoons of vinegar, then add more to taste).
- Mix the corn starch with just enough water to dissolve it (a few drops), then stir it into the soup. Bring the soup back to a simmer, then turn the heat off.
- Pour the beaten egg into a container with a long spout, then stir the soup with one hand and pour the egg into it with the other.
- Stir in the red pepper flakes and serve the soup hot.