Last Updated on
This delicious raspberry apple crisp is easy to make and full of flavor from fresh ginger and cardamom. The topping is a buttery and crunchy delicious hazelnut streusel.
I’m not a big fan of raw fruit but I am a huge fan of fruit crisps. What an incredible transformation they are. You start with hard, boring apples and tart raspberries and end with a juicy, crispy, warm, sweet and tasty dish of deliciousness.
For this raspberry apple crisp I flavored the fruit with freshly grated ginger and ground cardamom and topped it with a hazelnut streusel. The nuts add great flavor and crunch, so don’t be tempted to skip them. :)
How to make a raspberry apple crisp:
You start by tossing your apples and raspberries with the fresh ginger and ground cardamom in a bowl along with a bit of corn starch and brown sugar. (The corn starch will bind the juices so that things don’t get too runny down the road).
Next you transfer the fruit into your baking pan(s). You can use one large pan or individual pans like I did here, whatever works for you.
Now to the topping: add rolled oats, all-purpose flour, chopped hazelnuts, brown sugar and a smidgen of salt to a bowl. Next, grab your pastry cutter and cut in the butter.
Sprinkle the topping over the fruit and bake until it is golden-brown (about one hour).
I suggest you serve the crisp warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (or indeed both. I mean, why not!)
You can make both the fruit mix and the streusel in advance and then keep them in the fridge for several hours.
More delicious fruit desserts:
- Vanilla Cream with Cinnamon-Sugared Cranberries
- Ginger Honey Roasted Pears
- Star Anise-Poached Pears
- Black Forest Eton Mess
- Stovetop Apple Crisp
- Lemon Ginger Mousse
- Almond Orange Mousse with Anise
- Apple Tarts with Chai-Spiced Custard Sauce
Raspberry Apple Crisp
- 2 Gala apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2–inch chunks
- 12 ounces fresh raspberries
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Toss apples, raspberries, ginger, cardamom, corn starch and 2 teaspoons brown sugar in a bowl.
- Fill into baking pan(s).
- Add oats, flour, hazelnuts, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and salt to a bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter.
- Sprinkle the mix over the fruit.
- Bake until the topping is golden-brown (about 1 hour).
- Serve with whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: