This raspberry apple crisp is easy to make and full of flavor from fresh ginger and cardamom. The topping is a buttery and crunchy hazelnut streusel.
Don’t have time to make a fruit crisp in the oven? Try this healthy, delicious, easy and speedy Stovetop Apple Crisp instead.
I’m not a big fan of raw fruit but I am a huge fan of fruit crisps. You start with hard, boring apples and tart raspberries and end with a juicy, crispy, warm, sweet and tasty dish of deliciousness.
For this raspberry apple crisp I flavored the fruit with freshly grated ginger and ground cardamom and topped it with a hazelnut streusel. The nuts add great flavor and crunch, so don’t be tempted to skip them. :)
A few notes on some of the ingredients:
- Gala apples – don’t use any other apple variety because different types of apple require different cooking times
- corn starch – the corn starch will bind the fruit juices so that things don’t get too runny down the road
- brown sugar – I recommend you use light brown sugar for this recipe
- rolled oats – these are sometimes also called old-fashioned oats
How to make it:
Step 1. Toss the apples and raspberries with the fresh ginger, the corn starch, the cardamom and 2 teaspoons brown sugar in a bowl.
Step 2. Transfer the fruit mix into the baking pan(s). You can bake this crisp in a cast iron pan or in several small individual baking dishes.
Step 3. Prepare the topping: add the rolled oats, all-purpose flour, chopped hazelnuts, brown sugar and salt to a bowl.
Step 4. Grab a pastry cutter and cut the butter into the mix.
Step 5. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit and bake until it is golden-brown (about 45 minutes).
How to serve it:
I suggest you serve the crisp warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (or indeed both!).
RECIPE TIP: You can make both the fruit mix and the streusel in advance and then keep them in the fridge for several hours.
More delicious fruit desserts:
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Raspberry Apple Crisp
- 2 Gala apples, peeled, cored and cut into ½–inch chunks
- 12 ounces fresh raspberries
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Toss apples, raspberries, ginger, cardamom, corn starch and 2 teaspoons brown sugar in a bowl.
- Fill into baking pan(s).
- Add oats, flour, hazelnuts, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and salt to a bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter.
- Sprinkle the mix over the fruit.
- Bake until the topping is golden-brown (about 45 minutes).
- Serve with whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream.