Last Updated on
This yummy granola is made extra crispy by the addition of panko. You know panko, the Japanese-style breadcrumbs that are so crunchy that you reach for your earplugs when someone next to you chews them. I usually use the little guys to bread seafood and poultry but they come in handy in a range of other applications as well.
Here they add crispiness, substance and a great addition to the coconut flakes, pecans, sesame and pumpkin seeds and the obligatory oats. As any granola recipe, this one is easy and requires very little work.
How to make homemade granola:
Granola is toasted in a low-temperature oven, my recipe here calls for 250 degrees F. You simply mix all ingredients together, spread them out onto a rimmed baking sheet and put them in the oven for about an hour. The oven time is not entirely passive because you will have to stir everything around every 20 minutes but that’s really all you have to do.
You start by mixing together 1.5 tablespoons light brown sugar, 1/4 cup panko, 3 tablespoons sweetened coconut flakes, 1/4 cup chopped pecans, 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1.5 tablespoons sesame seeds and 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds.
Next you stir in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1.5 tablespoons maple syrup.
Spread the granola out on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 250 degrees F. for one hour, stirring everything around every 20 minutes.
Once the granola is toasted, you let it cool and you’re all set.
Looking for more quick and easy breakfast ideas? I can recommend this Ginger Cardamom Raspberry Jam with Yogurt and Toasted Hazelnuts:
- 1.5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup panko
- 3 tablespoons sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1.5 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1.5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Mix brown sugar, panko, coconut flakes, pecans, oats, sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds together in a bowl.
- Add the syrup and the oil to the bowl and mix well.
- Spread onto a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for 60 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Let cool and serve with yogurt or milk and fresh fruit of your choice.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: