This flavorful curried pineapple mango jam makes a delicious accompaniment to cheese boards and is also very good on chicken or beef burgers. The jam is quickly and easily made on the stovetop in 30 minutes (no canning involved).
About the recipe:
I had made the peach preserves a while back and absolutely loved them. The only problem for me was that fresh, ripe peaches are extremely seasonal and even when in season, they are quite hard to come by, in my experience. So I put a tropical spin on the jam, using frozen mango chunks and canned pineapple instead of peach, both of which are easy to get year-round.
The jam is deliciously sweet and fruity with just the right amount of spice from the curry powder to make it half savory.
A few ingredient notes:
- yellow curry powder:
- as always, I recommend that you get a high-quality spice blend from a dedicated spice shop because spice quality makes a huge difference in flavor
- you can use mild or medium yellow curry, depending on how spicy you like it
- frozen mango:
- if you have access to fresh mango, then by all means, use the fresh fruit. I used frozen mango because fresh mangoes are not always available and because I find that the frozen fruit is quite comparable to the fresh one.
How to make it:
Step 1. Dice 8 ounces thawed mango chunks and 8 ounces canned pineapple chunks. (The jam will go into the food processor later, so don’t go overboard with the chopping.) Add the fruit to a saucepan.
Step 2. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon corn starch and 3/4 teaspoon curry powder. Bring the mix to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the jam thickens (10 to 12 minutes).
Step 3. Let the jam cool to room temperature, then pulse a few times in the food processor. Transfer to a glass jar and store in the fridge.
How to serve it:
Serve the jam as a condiment with cheese boards and baguette and crackers or spread it onto chicken or beef burgers.
How to store it:
Store the cooled jam in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Curried Pineapple Mango Jam
- 8 ounces canned pineapple chunks, drained
- 8 ounces frozen mango chunks,* thawed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- ¾ teaspoon yellow curry powder**
- Dice the pineapple and mango chunks, then add to a saucepan.***
- Add the sugar, the corn starch and the curry powder, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring around frequently, until the jam thickens (10-12 minutes).
- Let the jam cool to room temperature, then transfer to a food processor and pulse a few times.
- Store the jam in a glass jar or another airtight container the fridge for up to about 2 weeks.