This 30-minute creamy chicken and chorizo pasta dish is very quick and easy to make and tastes amazing. Browned chicken and chorizo bites give the luscious, no-tomato cream sauce a meaty and delicious umami flavor that’s rounded out by garlic, onion, bell peppers and mushrooms. A pinch of ground cinnamon is optional but highly recommended; the warm fall flavor of the spice works great in this meaty, saucy pasta dish.
Ingredient notes, questions & substitutions:
What’s the difference between Mexican and Spanish chorizo?
In short, Mexican chorizo is generally raw sausage (either loose or in casings) while Spanish chorizo is a dried and cured sausage. You need loose (also called bulk) Mexican chorizo for this recipe. (If you’d like to learn more, here’s is a more in-depth article on the differences between Mexican and Spanish chorizo.)
You can use any color or color combination of bell peppers for this dish.
A pinch of ground cinnamon works really well in this cream sauce but if you don’t like the idea of it, you can easily just leave it out. The sauce will still taste delicious.
Can I use a different type of pasta?
Yes, any short cut pasta will work in this recipe. I personally like orecchiette because it’s very good at holding cream sauce with small chunks of meat.
How to make the sauce:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Saute diced onion, then add chicken and chorizo and cook until browned.
Step 2. Add garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper and cinnamon. Cook until the vegetables are starting to soften.
Step 3. Add cream and cook until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
How to serve this dish:
Stir the cooked pasta into the sauce. Garnish with finely chopped fresh parsley (optional). Serve warm.
Storage and reheating instructions:
Store pasta and sauce either separately or mixed together in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat gently on low heat, stirring continuously.
More delicious creamy pasta dishes:
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thank you!
Full Printable Recipe
Creamy Chicken and Chorizo Pasta (no tomato)
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board
- garlic press (optional)
- wooden spoon or spatula
- 4 ounces orecchiette pasta, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon mild olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons diced white or yellow onion
- 4 ounces bulk Mexican chorizo sausage
- 3 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 6 cremini mushrooms, stems removed, caps quartered
- ¾ cup diced bell pepper, any color or color combination
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon (optional)*
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parsley optional, for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside. While the pasta is cooking, prep the vegetables and the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a skillet until shimmering.
- Add onion and saute on medium heat until starting to soften (1 to 2 minutes).
- Add chorizo and chicken and cook until browned and fully cooked (about 6 minutes). Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break up the bulk sausage into bite-sized chunks.
- Stir in garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper and cinnamon (if using). Cook until the vegetables are starting to soften (about 3 minutes), stirring often.
- Pour in the cream, bring to a boil and cook, stirring continuously, until the sauce has thickened (a few minutes).
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper, then stir in the pasta. Sprinkle with parsley (optional) and serve.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.