Last Updated on
These cold sesame noodles take five minutes to make, require almost only pantry ingredients and taste absolutely delicious.
A few weeks ago we watched the series Cooked, a documentary about the history of cooking that is based on Michael Pollan’s book by the same name. It’s a very interesting show that is also absolutely beautifully shot; if you haven’t seen it, I definitely recommend it.
One of the things I was at first surprised to learn from Cooked was that people in the U.S. cook less today than they have in at least 30 years.
I didn’t realize that this was the case, what with all the cooking shows and, yes, food blogs out there. But after thinking about it a bit I could actually understand it.
Cooking is a job. It takes time, planning, thinking and energy. And with all the responsibilities each of us have in our daily life, time and energy to cook a homemade meal every evening are a luxury for many of us. And I have to admit that even though I love to cook and have time for it, I too usually prefer a quick and easy recipe.
That’s where these simple cold sesame noodles come in. They are delicious, cheap, super easy and take five minutes to make from start to finish.
How to make cold sesame noodles:
You start by simply whisking together sesame oil, natural peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sambal and coconut milk.
Next you toss freshly cooked soba noodles in the sauce, followed by a few vegetables like shredded carrots and/or cabbage for both crunch and freshness. And that’s already all there is to it!
Looking for more quick and easy Asian-inspired dishes? Check out these Spicy Edamame Beans:
Cold Sesame Noodles
- 4 ounces soba noodles, uncooked
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter (with peanuts as the only ingredient)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sambal (more if you like it spicier)
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- mint leaves and sesame seeds, optional
- shredded cabbage and/or carrot
- Cook the soba noodles according to package instructions, then thoroughly rinse them with cold water.
- Whisk oil, peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sambal and coconut milk together until smooth.
- Toss the cold noodles with the sauce, sprinkle with mint leaves and sesame seeds (if using), add shredded vegetables and serve immediately.
- Whatever you don't eat you need to throw away, you cannot store this noodle dish.
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. No need to type anything, just tap or click the stars in the recipe card and you’re done. Thanks!
Want to save this recipe idea for later? Pin it: