These rich chocolate trifles are made with a mascarpone chocolate mousse that is layered with vanilla-flavored whipped cream. A mix of crushed oreo cookies and finely chopped chocolate adds crunch and great contrast to the creamy layers.
Kitchen tools needed:
- You have to have an electric mixer.
- To crush the cookies, you can put them in a small freezer bag and hit them with a rolling pin. Or, if you have a mortar and pestle, you can use that instead.
- The easiest way to assemble the trifles is by piping the chocolate and cream layers using 2 large piping bags. If you don’t have piping bags, you can use spoons instead.
How to make the trifles (overview with photos):
Make the cookie layer:
1. Scrape the filling out of oreo cookies and discard, then crush the cookies into crumbs.
2. Finely chop semi-sweet chocolate and mix with the cookie crumbs. Set aside.
Make the cream layer:
3. Add heavy cream, vanilla extract and granulated sugar to a mixing bowl.
4. Whip to stiff peaks. Refrigerate until you’re ready to assemble the trifles.
Make the chocolate layer:
5. Add mascarpone, unsweetened cocoa powder, heavy cream and granulated sugar to a mixing bowl.
6. Whip until firm.
Assemble the trifles:
7. Assemble the trifles in individual jars: start with a cookie/chocolate layer, then pipe or spoon a chocolate mascarpone layer on top and a whipped cream layer on top of that. Repeat and end with a cookie layer.
Recipe notes, tips and questions:
Serve the trifles immediately after assembling them or store them in the fridge for up to 5 hours. (Any longer than that and the cookie crumbs will start to soften.)
Yes, this trifle is great with just a few spoonfuls of cherry preserves layered in. The tart fruit cuts through the richness and gives the trifle a delicious Black Forest theme.
Unfortunately not. One reason is that the whipped cream layer will begin to lose its firmness after a day. More importantly though, the oreo cookie crumbs will lose their crunch and begin to turn soggy after 5 to 6 hours.
More delicious trifle recipes:
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
10-Minute Chocolate Trifles
For the cookie layer (makes ~ 1 cup):
- 5 Oreo cookies
- 2 ½ ounces semi-sweet chocolate
For the cream layer (makes ~ 1 ½ cups):
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the chocolate layer (makes ~2 ½ cups):
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
For the cookie layer:
- Remove the filling from the Oreo cookies, then crush them.
- Chop the chocolate and mix it with the crushed cookies. Set aside.
For the cream layer:
- Whip all ingredients to stiff peaks.
For the chocolate layer:
- Whip mascarpone, heavy cream, cocoa powder and sugar together until you get a firm, mousse-like consistency.
- Layer (pipe or spoon) the components into individual jars. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 5 hours.*