Creamy, full of chocolate and very, very rich, these chocolate trifles make a decadent dessert that comes together in minutes.
These trifles are made of layers of mascarpone chocolate mousse, vanilla-flavored whipped cream and a mix of crushed oreo cookies and finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate. You can also easily turn them into a Black Forest version with a few spoonfuls of dark cherry preserves.
Kitchen tools needed:
- you have to have an electric mixer
- if you have a mortar and pestle you can use that to crush the cookies but alternatively you can also just put them into a small freezer bag and hit them with a rolling pin
- if you have 2 large piping bags, that will make your life easier but if you don’t, you can also just spoon the chocolate and cream layers
How to make the trifles:
Make the cookie layer:
Step 1. Scrape the filling out of 5 oreo cookies and discard, then crush the cookies into crumbs.
Step 2. Finely chop 2 ½ ounces semi-sweet chocolate and mix with the cookie crumbs. Set aside.
Make the cream layer:
Step 3. Add ¾ cup heavy cream, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar to a mixing bowl.
Step 4. Whip to stiff peaks. Refrigerate until you’re ready to assemble the trifles.
Make the chocolate layer:
Step 5. Add 8 ounces mascarpone, 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, ¾ cup heavy cream and ¼ cup granulated sugar to a mixing bowl.
Step 6. Whip until firm.
Assemble the trifles:
Step 7. Assemble the trifles in individual jars: start with a cookie/chocolate layer, then pipe or spoon a chocolate mascarpone layer on top and a whipped cream layer on top of that. Repeat and end with a cookie layer.
Commonly asked questions:
Serve the trifles immediately after assembling them or store them in the fridge for up to 5 hours (any longer than that and the cookie crumbs will start to soften).
Yes, this trifle is great with just a few spoonfuls of cherry preserves layered in. The tart fruit cuts through the richness and gives the trifle a Black Forest theme.
More delicious trifle recipes:
Made this recipe? It would be awesome if you could leave a rating. Either tap or click the stars in the recipe card or leave a comment below. Thanks!
10-Minute Chocolate Trifles
For the cookie layer (makes ~ 1 cup):
- 5 Oreo cookies
- 2 ½ ounces semi-sweet chocolate
For the cream layer (makes ~ 1 ½ cups):
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the chocolate layer (makes ~2 ½ cups):
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
For the cookie layer:
- Remove the filling from the Oreo cookies, then crush them.
- Chop the chocolate and mix it with the crushed cookies. Set aside.
For the cream layer:
- Whip all ingredients to stiff peaks.
For the chocolate layer:
- Whip mascarpone, heavy cream, cocoa powder and sugar together until you get a firm, mousse-like consistency.
- Layer (pipe or spoon) the components into individual jars and serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 5 hours.*