These baked Nutella donuts are moist and delicious thanks to a hazelnutty chocolate Nutella batter. The soft and creamy glaze is an espresso and dark chocolate Bourbon ganache. It’s made with heavy cream, butter, chocolate, vanilla extract, espresso powder and Bourbon.
For more favorite chocolate Bourbon sweets, also check out this chocolate Bourbon cake and these Bourbon ganache truffles!
Nutella donut batter ingredients:
Chocolate Bourbon glaze ingredients:
- The Nutella needs to be at room temperature for this recipe. If you keep it in the fridge, warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Be sure to use a chocolate bar and not chocolate morsels for the glaze. Morsels have stabilizers in them that prevent them from melting properly.
- You can make this recipe without Bourbon for a non-alcoholic version, if you want to. Simply do everything as instructed but leave out the Bourbon.
How to make the Nutella donuts:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Grease two 6-well donut pans. (The recipe makes 10-11 donuts.)
Step 2. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
Step 3. Add Nutella to the dry ingredients.
Step 4. Mash the Nutella into the dry ingredients using a fork. (Expect the mix to be clumpy.)
Step 5. In a second bowl, add egg, vanilla extract and sugar.
Step 6. Whisk the egg/sugar/vanilla mix together.
Step 7. Whisk in milk.
Step 8. Whisk in melted butter. (Expect the butter to solidify and form little pieces when it hits the cold milk.)
Step 9. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. (The batter will be clumpy.)
Step 10. Fill the batter into a piping bag and pipe it into the donut pan wells, filling each well about half full. Bake the donuts for 12 to 15 minutes. Let the donuts cool, then unmold them.
How to make the Bourbon glaze:
Step 1. Add heavy cream, butter, instant espresso powder, vanilla extract and salt to a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Take the mix off the heat and add Bourbon.
Step 2. Pour the hot mix over finely chopped bittersweet chocolate and let sit for a minute. Whisk together until smooth.
Step 3. Spoon the glaze over the donuts and let solidify (about 30 minutes).
Recipe notes, tips & questions:
- If you end up with chocolate pieces in the glaze, set the bowl over a pot of simmering water to fully melt them.
- If you don’t have a piping bag, you can use two spoons instead. It’s more tedious to do it with spoons but it works.
How to serve the donuts:
Serve the donuts with a glass of milk (or Bourbon)!
How to store the donuts:
These donuts are definitely best served fresh on the day you make them. But, if you have any donuts left over, cover them loosely with plastic wrap and let them sit on the counter for up to 1 day. (I don’t recommend refrigerating them because that will dry them out.)
More delicious Bourbon desserts:
- Holiday Oatmeal Cookies with Bourbon Drizzle1 Hours 53 Minutes
- Bourbon Milk Punch10 Minutes
- Spiced Eggnog45 Minutes
- Bourbon Pecan Cookies59 Minutes
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thanks!
Full Printable Recipe
Baked Nutella Donuts with Chocolate Bourbon Glaze
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board
- two 6-well donut pans
- mixing bowls
- piping bag
- wooden spoon
- rubber spatula
For the donuts:
- non-stick spray or vegetable shortening for the donut pans
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup hazelnut spread (such as Nutella), at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the glaze:
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped*
For the donuts:
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray two 6-well donut pans with nonstick spray or grease well with vegetable shortening and set aside.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- Mash the Nutella into the dry ingredients using a fork. (The mix will be clumpy.) Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg, vanilla and sugar together until well combined.
- Whisk milk, then melted butter into the egg mix. (The butter will likely solidify and form tiny pieces when it hits the cold milk mix and that's fine.)
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the egg mix. (The batter will still be clumpy and that's fine.)
- Transfer the batter into a piping bag and pipe into the donut pans, filling the individual wells about half full.
- Bake the donuts for 12-15 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the donuts cool in the pans, then unmold them carefully.
For the glaze:
- Add cream, butter, espresso powder, vanilla and salt to a saucepan, bring to a boil and stir until combined.
- Take off the heat and stir in the Bourbon.
- Pour the hot mix over the chocolate and let sit for a minute.
- Whisk until everything is well combined and no chocolate clumps remain. (You may need to heat the mixture over a pot of simmering water to melt the last clumps of chocolate).
- Spoon the glaze over the donuts and let solidify (about 30 minutes).
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.
Kevin | Keviniscooking
Holy smokes, now you’ve pushed me over the edge with these. Stunning! If it weren’t raining cats and dogs outside I’d venture to the store and buy the donut pan stat. Tomorrow for sure. :)
Donut pans are fun, I love mine! :)
Jen | Baked by an Introvert
I am swooning over these donuts! Chocolate and bourbon are an incredible duo! Gorgeous photography!
Thank you so much, Jen! I agree, chocolate and Bourbon are the best, as a matter of fact I don’t really like Bourbon without chocolate! :)