This chipotle pizza sauce is a delicious variation on traditional tomato pizza sauce. It has all the great flavor of “regular” pizza sauce but with added spiciness, smokiness and a subtle chipotle pepper flavor.
The chipotle/tomato flavor combination is also great in pasta sauces, like this chorizo bacon pasta!
How to make it:
See full ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below!
Step 1. Saute diced onion in olive oil.
Step 2. Add garlic.
Step 3. Add oregano and chipotle powder.
Step 4. Add crushed tomatoes and salt.
How to use it:
Spread the sauce onto raw pizza dough, add toppings, then bake either on a pizza stone or in a cast iron pan (shown below).
How to store it:
If you’re not using the sauce immediately, let it cool to room temperature, then store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze in a freezer bag.
What toppings pair best with this pizza sauce?
This chipotle pizza sauce works great with shredded chicken, shredded mozzarella cheese, black olives and red onion or other vegetables of your choice.
How spicy is this sauce?
This sauce has a medium level of spiciness from the ground chipotle chili powder.
More delicious chipotle sauce recipes:
See all sauce recipes→
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating or comment! Thank you!
Full Printable Recipe
Chipotle Pizza Sauce
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board
- garlic press (optional)
- wooden spoon
- 1 ½ teaspoons mild olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely diced white or yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¾ cup canned crushed tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat olive oil in a pan or pot until shimmering.
- Add the onion and cook on medium heat until starting to soften (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in the garlic and cook until starting to brown (about 1 minute).
- Stir in oregano and chipotle powder and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and the salt and cook until heated through.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then spread on raw pizza dough or transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Information (Estimated):
Nutrition values provided on this website are generated from a nutrition database and are estimates only. The accuracy of the nutrition information for any recipe on this website is not guaranteed. Nutrition values can vary quite a lot depending on which brands are used.
Leave a Comment